Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet goes out everyday at the exact same time

roycephantom
Tutor

Internet goes out everyday at the exact same time

Firmware Version - V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Hey yall,

I bought this router (R7000 AC1900) about five months ago, and I have only been experiencing this disconnection issue the past few weeks. Basically, everyday around 2 PM - 4 PM PST, the internet will go out once and kill the connection on both my machine that uses direct ethernet cable and my other devices that uses WiFi (2.4 and 5 GHz). The solution is always as simple as turn the nighthawk off and on again. However, this is annoying (and sometimes unacceptable) because there were times where I was in a really important meeting and other times where I was working on a time-sensitive project using VPN.

I read somewhere that it might be due to overheating. However, (1) I place it in an open space, and (2) everytime I touch it (for turning it off and back on), it doesn't feel hot at all.

Any advice would be awesome. 

Thanks!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
microchip8
Master

Re: Internet goes out everyday at the exact same time

Might want to downgrade the firmware. Often it helps on the R7000

Message 2 of 7
roycephantom
Tutor

Thank you for the suggestion. Is there a specific stable older firmware version that I need to be using? 

EDIT: I notice there is also a newer firmware which is weird because my ios app keeps saying I'm running the latest one (not true at all)

Message 3 of 7
microchip8
Master

IIRC, version .42 is the most stable one but is dated. NG firmwares for the R7000 (and a few other models) have progressively gone down in quality

Message 4 of 7
roycephantom
Tutor

Got it. I just upgraded instead. Let me see what happens today around that time and I will downgrade it if the problem still exists.

Message 5 of 7
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@roycephantom wrote:

Firmware Version - V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Hey yall,

I bought this router (R7000 AC1900) about five months ago, and I have only been experiencing this disconnection issue the past few weeks. Basically, everyday around 2 PM - 4 PM PST, the internet will go out once and kill the connection on both my machine that uses direct ethernet cable and my other devices that uses WiFi (2.4 and 5 GHz). The solution is always as simple as turn the nighthawk off and on again. However, this is annoying (and sometimes unacceptable) because there were times where I was in a really important meeting and other times where I was working on a time-sensitive project using VPN.

I read somewhere that it might be due to overheating. However, (1) I place it in an open space, and (2) everytime I touch it (for turning it off and back on), it doesn't feel hot at all.

Any advice would be awesome. 

Thanks!

@roycephantom 

Ok, sorry, probably going to upset the apple cart a bit here, but I personally not convinced the problem is entirely down to your router. I have the same router model and mine is now just a couple of years old from build date and I've had no issues at all with it. Chances are, this is an ISP issue, modem issue or environmental issues associated with your locale. Also particular internal settings within the router GUI might need 'tweaking'. Try changing your NTP server, check MTU packet settings, make sure QoS is turned off if you don't need it. It's supposition, at the end of the day, those of us sitting in an armchair knocking out 'advice' just don't know your enviromnental situation no matter how well you think you've explained it.

As you are probably already aware, your firmware is out of date by several updates. Don't take any notice of what the router is telling you about whether or not firmware updates are available, just check manually and don't enable auto update I get it, you'll get 'advice' to downgrade to a particular firmware that is now several years old and probably full of security issues. Is that particularly sensible advice? well, you takes your chances on that. Just make sure your anti-virus etc is bang up to date if you decide to do that retrograde step. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but that's me.

I'm now on a full fibre connection so I no longer need a modem. My R7000 AC1900 is working extremely well. It's not shoved away in a cupboard, it doesn't have in excess of 25 devices connected to it, and I've split device connections into standard and 'Guest' modes.

Despite the multiple threads created on this forum effectively complaining about the same issues over and over again (do the search function, you'll find plenty!) I still think this is a great router. If it ever becomes a problem though, I'll dump it like a brick and buy a different router. Hope you sort things out.

Message 6 of 7
roycephantom
Tutor

Nope, I totally understand. Twas actually one of the reasons why I decided to upgrade instead of downgrade - security patches. I always try my best to make sure everything is running the latest patch. Honestly, I think the firmware upgrade did the trick. Yesterday I didn't experience any disconnection anymore. Im crossing my finger that the streak wont end today.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7