Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet issues with Netgear XR500

Azurtri
Aspirant

Internet issues with Netgear XR500

Hi,

I started having an issue this weekend with my Netgear XR500 router. The issue is that it seems like the router is constantly dropping connection or something. I have a fiber connection that is 1 gig download and upload. When running a speed test with the router I get 1 ms ping and the correct speeds but several devices like tv's struggle to watch videos and while playing world of warcraft my ping is jumping up over 1000 and sometimes over 2000 and it makes everything appear to be moving in place for a few seconds then it will all catch up quickly. If I bypass the router on the PC alone, my ping in world of warcraft drops to 63 and all the issues go away immediately. 

The first thing I tried was restarting programs on the PC and even rebooting the PC thinking it was on that end but when I continued to see issues with voice dropping in discord too I felt like something else was going on. I did the reboots of my ISP ONT and of the router multiple times. I tried swapping the ethernet cable between the ONT and router in case this may have been shorting out, tried 3 different cables. I eventually hard reset the router and set it back up along with making sure firmware was completely up to date. After all of this I am seeing the same network issues when connected through the router.

Being that world of warcraft is running smoothly along with discord and youtube at the same time while hardwired directly to my ONT it is quite clear something with the router is causing the issue I just don't know what. I really don't want to buy another router as this one is less than 2 years old but at this point I am not sure what else to try.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Internet issues with Netgear XR500

What ont do you have? 

Message 2 of 4
Azurtri
Aspirant

It is a Nokia GPON ONT I-010G and when directly connected to that I have no lag issues. I tried disabling QoS and Geo filter completely which helped for a day or so but now back to having issues.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You'll find more help with the pro-gaming devices in their forum. I don't have one to test/play with 

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7