Internet keeps disconnecting

HelpMePleez
Tutor

Internet keeps disconnecting

My internet keeps disconnecting about two times a day. Checked the logs and it says internet disconnected (starting no reason) and at the same exact time it states internet reconnected. However, none of my devices will connect to the internet unless i reboot the router.
Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 12
JimmieDee
Initiate

Re: Internet keeps disconnecting

My adapter was doing the same thing. Uninstalled and reloaded program...now seems to be working properly.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

What modem are you connected to? 

Firmware on the R6900P?

Does the drop happen to wired devices as well or just wireless? 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 3 of 12
ThumbsRH
Guide

The problem seems to be something in the firmware or some external (ie malware/hacker/whatever by actor) event causing their routers to crash. The "suggested" fix is to roll back your firmware. Going back to hack-able firmware versions is simply a very bad idea, doing so gives hackers open access to your system through known issues. 

Don't expect any help from Netgear, they seem to have abandoned problem solving on existing equipment. 

Message 4 of 12
HelpMePleez
Tutor

Firmware is 1.0.10.90_10.2.90
Modem is technicolor dpc3216
And i don't have any wired devices, but it drops everything that is connected.
Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

Do you have the R7000 router?

you listed R6900P in your signature but the firmware matches the R7000. 

If its the R7000, downgrade to version 1.0.9.42 of the firmware. Factory reset and manually reinstall. 

The R7000 is known to have issues with its firmware. 

Message 6 of 12
HelpMePleez
Tutor

How do i go about downgrading the firmware?
Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

download the old firmware. go to the support site netgear.com/support/ 

click downloads, find the old file and download it, then extract it.

Then look in the manual at manual firmware install process. It walks you through the install. 

Message 8 of 12
ThumbsRH
Guide

Installing old firmware may solve the problem with losing connection but it will leave your entire network exposed to more threats. Netgear really needs to address this issue with new firmware.

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

@ThumbsRH wrote:

Installing old firmware may solve the problem with losing connection but it will leave your entire network exposed to more threats. Netgear really needs to address this issue with new firmware.

@ThumbsRHdo you have a helpful suggestion to get the OP's router working? Complaining about Netgears firmware doesn't help the OP's situation. This is the community forum where the members try to help out others. We're not netgear. 

Message 10 of 12
ThumbsRH
Guide

Fair enough, but this is the forum which people having trouble see when they use Google and it is on Netgear's site so hopefully someone monitors it. Because Netgear has not done anything to solve this problem I am letting people know that the "solution" is not a good one- rolling back firmware is a bad idea. Either live with the problem or replace the router with something with better support and reliability. If someone decides to live with the problem, hopefully they, too, will complain about it here and elsewhere until Netgear responds. 

Message 11 of 12
varonica_1
Initiate

Forget Network and Reconnect

• Go to Your Computer WiFi Network List where you are Connected with it Please Right Click on Your Network Name and click Forget.
  • Once Disconnected Please restart the computer
  • Now reconnect with WiFi network using the wireless password and check the Box to Remember it.

Update Wireless Driver 

• Go to Your computer and Press the Windows Key + R Together on the keyboard.
  • Type ncpa.cpl and press Ok Or You can Go Manually Go to Control Panel >Network And Internet>Network & Sharing Center >change adapter Settings>Select Your Current WiFi Network Adapter
  • Right Click on it and Go to the Properties then Under the WiFi adapter Settings Please Click on configure
  • Go to the Driver and Hit on Update Driver and you may see a new Box with 2 Options.
  • Click on Search Automatically for updated Driver Software and Get an auto-update.
  • You can also manually install the driver if you want to use the 2nd option. for that, you may need to download the wireless driver from the official laptop manufacturer website and then upload it using the second option.

Source:- Fix WiFi Keeps Disconnecting 

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E