Internet slowed to a crawl on 2.4Ghz and 5ghz both. Reboot fixed it.

Kuonji
Aspirant

Internet slowed to a crawl on 2.4Ghz and 5ghz both. Reboot fixed it.

Had this router a few days now. Until today, so far so good. Then I noticed that my internet speeds got extremely slow. So I checked speedtest and it was showing less than a megabit download on a 50 megabit connection. I switched over to the 2.4ghz band, and the same thing.

So I rebooted the router through the GUI, and now everything is much better. But the question is, does anyone else experience this? Is this a known issue with the latest firmware (which I have)?

I'd really rather not have to make a habit of rebooting my router every few days just to keep it working reasonably.
Message 1 of 15
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Internet slowed to a crawl on 2.4Ghz and 5ghz both. Reboot fixed it.

This has happened to me, as well, but it was just 2.4GHz. that dropped like that, 5GHz. was still good when I looked. I've entered an issue about this at the Netgear Support site, please do the same, the more reports that they get the faster that they'll fix it.

My case number is:

so you might want to mention that one. Again, my case is for 2.4GHz. only at this point, but it is a full report, mentioning occasional wireless drops. If you can get more case numbers from others, that always helps, too.

I'm going back to look at dd-wrt soon, hopefully they'll be adding IPv6 to that. It has been stable when I've tried it, but I haven't kept it up for a week, just a couple of days.
Message 2 of 15
RogerSC
Virtuoso

One more thing, sorry to have left this out...power-cycling my router restored the 2.4GHz. wireless. Thought about rebooting, but decided that a power-cycle was more complete, so I did that instead.
Message 3 of 15
dowop
Tutor

Mine did the same on 2.4 only also. 5ghz was still good. Reboot fixed it. I have had the R7000 for about 3 weeks with no problems till I installed the new firmware. Has been ok now for a couple of days.
Message 4 of 15
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I've also turned off "Beamforming" and "Airtime Fairness" (which were on by default), to see if the code added for those features is part of the problem. Been solid since then, but it's only been 12-24 hours since I did that, so time will tell.
Message 5 of 15
khaleesi
Aspirant

Kuonji,

What specific model and version are you using? If possible, could you also check for the firmware version?
Message 6 of 15
theoak
Luminary

I will put this out there too ... The proximity of my router and microwave oven is relatively close. When the wife is using the microwave, my 2.4 Ghz basically drops to its knees. The oven goes off and speeds step back up. So ... if your kids are warming up their after school snacks ... go ground them for killing your network Smiley Wink
RBK53 v2
Router Firmware: 2.7.2.104
Satellite Firmware: 2.7.2.104 (Satellite1: Wired, Satetellite2: WiFi)
Setup: DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) - Personal Router - Orbi (Access Point mode)
Message 7 of 15
phreebsd
Aspirant

i'm having a similar issue also.
My laptop 802.11ac is connecting at 866.7 Mbps but my other 802.11g (2.4Ghz) devices like IPcams and printers are showing in genie being connected at 11mbps. I can tell they are too cause the camera feeds are super choppy whereas before they were not.
Rebooting the router temporarily fixes the issue as they will come back at 54Mbps (genie shows this) but give them a little time and they will revert to 11Mbps.

I have just turned off BeamForming in the firmware to see if this helps. I've tried everything else. Will report back my findings.
Message 8 of 15
phreebsd
Aspirant

just read in two other thread that this is an issue with the latest firmware. it has been pulled from the download center.
Netgear is working on a new firmware release to fix the problem, V1.0.2.120_1.0.17.
yay!
Message 9 of 15
Stryker0129
Aspirant

Hi Kuonji, NETGEAR released a new firmware version 1.0.2.164 which has new features and enhancements. It added a fix on the wireless connection concern which I believed a worth firmware to try on your case. Please see the release notes of the firmware below: New Features & Enhancements: [Enhancement] Auto detect uplink bandwidth in Upstream QoS. Bug Fixes: Fixed WIFI Stability issue. Fixed Nexus 7 5G WIFI incompatible issue. Downstream QoS affects https and other normal traffic fix. Incorrect manual adding a MAC address to Access Control allow or block list. IE Browser can't access Router FTP server.
Message 10 of 15
sdrm
Aspirant

I am having the same issue too. My 5 GHz is fine but the 2.4 GHz drops to 12 mb/sec and then looses connectivity even with the latest firmware so this is not an issue with beam forming or the airtime. Has to be something else. I am trying to survive the 2.4 GHz band as of now till Netgear fixes it in an update.
Message 11 of 15
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Hi, are you using the latest Netgear firmware version V1.0.2.164_1.0.15? Your mention of beamforming and airtime fairness kind of throws me off, but I've found V1.0.2.164_1.0.15 more stable than the previous one that offered beamforming and airtime fairness. So if you're not using 1.0.2.164, give it a try. If you are, sorry to bother you.
Message 12 of 15
sdrm
Aspirant

I was using that firmware and then reverted back to the previous one with beamforming as that was at least stable on the 5 GHz band.
Message 13 of 15
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Has anyone tried the latest FW from NETGEAR support site?

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/Disclaimer.aspx?redirecturl=http://netgeardownload.registria.co...[sku]=R7000&download_url=http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000-V1.0.2.194_1.0.15.zip
Message 14 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, for 15 days, then I returned it for full refund
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements