Iphones (6 and 8) download speeds very low compared to upload speeds. No problem with other devices.

marcau
Follower

Iphones (6 and 8) download speeds very low compared to upload speeds. No problem with other devices.

Hi All,

Both my iphones (old one is a 6 new one is a iphone 8) have very low download speeds compared to upload speed with the Nighthawk R7000. Upload is at 300+ mbps while download is ridiculously low in comparison and never goes above 43mpbs

This issue doesn't occur with any other router. Iphones easily reach download speeds of 200+mbps in my office where I use another router.

This problem only happens with the new netgear router I bought. Other devices are fine, Macbook has relatively similar download and upload speeds averaging 300 mbps.

Please let me know how to fix that, do I need to change something in the settings ?

Thanks

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2
IrvSp
Master

Re: Iphones (6 and 8) download speeds very low compared to upload speeds. No problem with other devi

@marcau wrote:

Hi All,

Both my iphones (old one is a 6 new one is a iphone 8) have very low download speeds compared to upload speed with the Nighthawk R7000. Upload is at 300+ mbps while download is ridiculously low in comparison and never goes above 43mpbs

I'm guessing you had a typo above? You meant DOWNLOAD speed with the Nighthawk, not UPLOAD?

I assume from the rest of your message you have 300/300Mbps down/up speed service?

Do you have QoS enabled? If so, disable it, at that speed it doesn't do any good and can even cause problems.

If that doesn't fix it, come on back, but please give the firmware number.

There are 2 speeds when one talks wireless. The connection speed and the actual speed.

Connection speed is determined by the device... I'll assume both of those iPhones connect with either N or AC speed. Both are sufficient for 300Mbps. Actual is different, and can vary depending on many factors. Even where/how you test it.

If it isn't fixed by disabling QoS come back with the test method, band and channel the devices were using, and distance from the router.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements