Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is Nighthawk R7000 compatible with fiber networks?

tpb_
Follower

Is Nighthawk R7000 compatible with fiber networks?

I am having trouble with my smart tvs connecting to the internet and it happened when we switched from a cable ISP to fiber ISP.  However, I am able to connect most other devices (only other exception is a Galaxy tablet) without any problem.  Furthermore, my ISP provided a ZyXEL router for testing purposes and the tvs were able to connect to the internet.  Do I have some type of compatibility issue with the R7000 on a fiber network?  Or is there some type of setting that needs to be changed on the R7000?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is Nighthawk R7000 compatible with fiber networks?

@tpb_ wrote:

I am having trouble with my smart tvs connecting to the internet and it happened when we switched from a cable ISP to fiber ISP.

Practically ever ISP is fibre to some extent, including your old one. Even DSL services sell themselves a fibre.

So what is it that delivers the internet to you? What sort of box sits on the wall. Is it something called an ONT (Optical Network Terminator)?

@tpb_ wrote:

Or is there some type of setting that needs to be changed on the R7000?

If it is the same router that you had before, you need to persuade it forget any bad habits, and settings, it picked up from your old cable modem. This means doing "factory reset" that restores the router to the out of the box default settings. Then set it up as specified by your current ISP.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@tpb_  I can only confirm from a UK perspective, that the R7000 works just fine on fibre optic. I myself am on a fibre package. The only thing I had to do to make sure my connection worked, was to configure my Draytek 130 modem to PPPoE in the settings as that is the compatibility setting for my ISP. Everything else, the modem handles because Draytek have pre-programmed my particular model to work with UK/Eire ISP providers. I've read that Draytek modems might play a slightly different role in other territories, so I couldn't say whether or not this might apply to your situation.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 2 of 3

@tpb_ wrote:

I am having trouble with my smart tvs connecting to the internet and it happened when we switched from a cable ISP to fiber ISP.

Practically ever ISP is fibre to some extent, including your old one. Even DSL services sell themselves a fibre.

So what is it that delivers the internet to you? What sort of box sits on the wall. Is it something called an ONT (Optical Network Terminator)?

@tpb_ wrote:

Or is there some type of setting that needs to be changed on the R7000?

If it is the same router that you had before, you need to persuade it forget any bad habits, and settings, it picked up from your old cable modem. This means doing "factory reset" that restores the router to the out of the box default settings. Then set it up as specified by your current ISP.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7