Is Nighthawk R7000 good enough for my 3400ft, 2-story+basement house?

johnny_hunter
Follower

Is Nighthawk R7000 good enough for my 3400ft, 2-story+basement house?

I have comcast blast plan, which is supposed to have a stream of 150mbps and I use a motorala SB 6141 modem. I am weighting my options to buying Nighthawk R7000 or the more powerful X4S. 

My residency is a 3400ft, 2-story house with a basement, the door to the basement is closed most time, but it's my main working area, meaning I like it covered by signals too. The modem and router are to be placed on 1st floor.

Besides a higher price tag, I noticed X4S supports DLNA and Mu-MiMo - I doublt they really help in my case, as my wireless devices (Roku, TVs, tablets, computers, printers, phones) are not DLNA or Mimu ready. Frequency wise, the AC1900 duel bandwidth (600+1300) seems suficient given my blast plan.

So it's more or less narrowed to the range these routers can cover, and how well they can penetrate an obstacle like a door.

Also, if the R7000 turns out to be weak, can a signal extender really help to boost signals?

Please kindly advise.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
SkyOwl
Guide

Re: Is Nighthawk R7000 good enough for my 3400ft, 2-story+basement house?

My house is similar to yours, 2 story + daylight basement. My internet comes in to the top floor office R7000.  That covered all the top and middle floors but was marginal in the basement.  I installed a second R7000 access point on the middle floor.  That one covered all floors nicely and the majority of a 1/2 acre yard.  I eventually replaced the R7000 antennas with higher gain types to improve the far yard performance.  I now have full house/yard coverage from the middle floor R7000.  Unless you need the mimo stuff, the R7000 should work well for you.

Message 2 of 3
mondenath
Prodigy

Re: Is Nighthawk R7000 good enough for my 3400ft, 2-story+basement house?

I would suggest use an extender in conjuntion with Power line  instead for wifi extender.

Nighthawk DST is best choice for your required.

its called deadspot terminator.

It basicall extend the wifi via powerline through range extender wired and then range extended extend via wired from powerline. So the extender have nil loss as it dont have any loss in re-transmitting the signal. But the powerline has to be 1.2gig for least rate say 300+Mbps if you have gigbit speed ISP

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements