Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is new Modem (C2000) compatible with my AC1750 Router

R__E
Aspirant

Is new Modem (C2000) compatible with my AC1750 Router

I have a docsis 3.0 netgear Gateway and am an Xfinity streaming customer. I’ve had nothing but issues for the past six months and Xfinity says it’s not their problem but I refuse to rent from them and give them any more money. I’m considering purchasing a new 3.1 Docsis modem (CM2000). I’ve got a Netgear AC1750 router that is a couple years old. Does anybody know if that is compatible with this new modem? Or should o buy a new router too?Sorry if this question is pretty basic I’m a novice at this stuff.
Message 1 of 13
R__E
Aspirant

Re: Is new Modem (C2000) compatible with my AC1750 Router

Sorry.. the router model number is R6700
Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

It is compatible with both the R6700 and xfinity. 

But it doesn't mean it'll fix the issue. 

Maybe if you go over your current setup and the details of the issue you're having we can help get your current setup working first. 

Message 3 of 13
R__E
Aspirant

Thank you! Much appreciated. My issues have been many... buffering, intermittent week signal, and the speed. I was originally on a plan with Xfinity where I would get up to 200 Mbps but whenever I ran a speed test I wouldn’t get more than 40 to 70Mbps. I spent many hours on the phone with different people from Xfinity and they couldn’t figure out anything. Then I worked with tech-support from Netgear and they had me change some settings but nothing really improved. Finally Xfinity bumped me up to 400 Mbps. When they did that my speed improved but it still only ranges between 90-150 Mbps. After six months of calling Xfinity they finally said that they couldn’t do anything more and would never send out a technician because my gateway was not their equipment. They suggested I rent from them so that way they can support it. We are streamers and have four different TVs and 5-7 additional devices that use WiFi (rarely at the same time). I just ran a speed test and it came out at 95 Mbps and I’m not streaming anything and no one else is using a device or watching TV. Any thoughts are welcomed!
Message 4 of 13

a modem/router
@R__E wrote:
I have a docsis 3.0 netgear Gateway ....

Which one?

By the way your message mentions both the CM2000 and C2000. They are not the same thing.

The CM2000 is a  modem while the C2000 is a modem/router.

Adding a router to a modem/router is a recipe for chaos.

Message 5 of 13
R__E
Aspirant

Re: Is new Modem (CM2000) compatible with my AC1750 Router

Thanks for catching that.. I’m thinking of purchasing the CM2000 (modem) only. Today I have a combo modem/router. I also have a spare R6700 router not being used that I would use with the new CM2000.

Again, any thoughts or recommendations are welcomed.
Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

What actual modem are you currently testing with? 

How are you speed testing? (device, website, etc)

What actual router are you using currently

Message 7 of 13
R__E
Aspirant

Currently using a combo modem/router.. netgear model C7000v2. I test the speed using Speedtest app and also the Xfininty app has a test. Just ran a test using both and below are results:
Speedtest- download 41.4/upload 23.2
Xfinity- download 57.7/ upload 23.2
NOTE: I’m sitting 6 inches from the gateway and only using one smartphone abs one PC.
I have Xfinity extreme which should stream up to 400 Mbps.
Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

what wired speeds do you get? Not wireless. 

Message 9 of 13
R__E
Aspirant

For comparison purposes I ran them both wired and non-wired witchin a close time internal:

Using Speedtest app
Wired: 90.26 Mbps
Wireless 2.4 channel: 93.9
Wireless 5G channel: 204

Using Xfinity speed test
Wired: 123.3 Mbps
Wireless 2.4 channel: 92.2
Wireless 5G channel: 190

All along I’ve thought the issue was Xfinity and they made it sound like it was my Gateway...Now that I see these numbers sounds like it is an Xfinity issue. Would you agree? Also, why is the top end speed nowhere close to the 400Mbps they advertise?
Message 10 of 13

@R__E wrote:
Speedtest- download 41.4/upload 23.2
Xfinity- download 57.7/ upload 23.2
NOTE: I’m sitting 6 inches from the gateway and only using one smartphone abs one PC.
I have Xfinity extreme which should stream up to 400 Mbps.

That is as fast as you will get with some wifi clients. It won't get any better with new hardware.

Wifi speeds tells you nothing about the quality of your internet service.

As @plemans says, the only way to test that is with a wired connection.

Message 11 of 13

@R__E wrote:
For comparison purposes I ran them both wired and non-wired witchin a close time internal:

Also, why is the top end speed nowhere close to the 400Mbps they advertise?

One final thing to rule out is the wiring of your Ethernet connection.

Some (old) Ethernet hardware is 100BASE-TX. If you have an ancient PC that can limit the speeds to 100 Mbps.

The C7000v2 is 1000BASE-T.

Older cables can also slow you down.

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

Like @michaelkenward says, check your wired device. 

The wired connection should provide the fastest connection and your 5ghz is actually hitting faster speeds. 

do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page? (shows upstream/downstream values)

Post that back on here. I've had comcast say a line was fine when it wasn't. 

I've also seen them overload an area so have inconsistent speeds. Its part of why they're pushing to get  people on docsis 3.1 modems.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7