Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is the Nighthawk router/modem compatible with DSL

CliffdScott
Aspirant

Is the Nighthawk router/modem compatible with DSL

I bought this cable modem and then discovered that the internet line was dsl.  While fiber optic cable is coming, it is slow in doing so.  Thus I thought of asking a question almost surely to be answered “no”, but can the dsl cable be plugged into the Nighthawk and function?

Thanks to whoever can clear that up for me.

Cliff

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Is the Nighthawk router/modem compatible with DSL

What model do you have? 

Have you checked with your ISP to see if its compatible? 

Message 2 of 6
CliffdScott
Aspirant

Hi 

It is a NightHawk AX6 Cable Modem/Router.  The ISP is AT&T and I haven't asked them for their opinion, as it is not my provider but my daughter's.  I just want to know if a cable modem is also able to handle a DSL connection, which I doubt, but thought I would confirm it.

Thanks for getting back to me.  I appreciate it!

Cliff

Message 3 of 6

@CliffdScott wrote:

I bought this cable modem and then discovered that the internet line was dsl.  

Cable modems will not work on DSL and vice versa. Completely different network technologies.

Netgear has effectively ditched the DSL market, and other brands are cutting back in what they offer.

Netgear's DXXXX modem routers are for DSL. If you gave a CXXXX device that's for cable.

AT&T may have a list of compatible modems but most ISPs are technically hopeless.

Experienced users like to buy separate modems and routers. That gives them a much wider choice of router features that will sit behind any modem you like to throw at them. Unfortunately, DSL modem only devices are even harder to find than modem.routers.

Message 4 of 6
CliffdScott
Aspirant

Thank you for replying to my neophyte query.  I thought the answer you gave was what I would get but wanted to confirm it.  

Be well,

Cliff

Message 5 of 6

Sorry about that.

These things are sent to try us.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation