Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is the R7000 router end-of-life for firmware updates?

pharbrian
Star

Is the R7000 router end-of-life for firmware updates?

I see the last firmware update for the R7000 being issued around Aug 2019. Has firmware support for the R7000 been discontinued? I have tried searching for official notification that the R7000 is no longer being supported, but I cannot find such information.

Moreover, is there any official information from Negear stating how long they support routers with firmware updates? I am hoping to use that information to guide my next purchase if this router is no longer supported.  

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.100 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Various security and bug fixes were addressed. We recommend that you restart your router before starting the update to ensure a successful update.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
labatt
Mentor

Just because there has not been a firmware update in your timeframe does not mean Netgear has discontinued support. If, on the other hand, if you are looking at a new router I would look at the Netgear AX series as this is where Ntgear will be focusing their resources and time.  The r7000 shipped in 2013 so is 7 years old which is ancient by tech standards although a very well performing router. Had one when they came out and worked well, however, Netgear has managed to take an excellent router and turn it into a pile of cra& with firmware updates.

Message 2 of 8

@pharbrian wrote:

I see the last firmware update for the R7000 being issued around Aug 2019. Has firmware support for the R7000 been discontinued?

Are you aware of anything that need mending? Do you have problems with your router?

Firmware gets updates to fix issues, usually security, or to change the features.

New routers get more frequent updates because they often ship with defects that need mending.

The R7000 has been around for some time. That means that Netgear has had time to fix bugs and settle down on the features.

Netgear still sells the R7000. When a device does fall off the support treadmill it usually shows up as "EOL" in the support pages.

Message 3 of 8
pharbrian
Star

Are you aware of anything that need mending? Do you have problems with your router?

Firmware gets updates to fix issues, usually security, or to change the features.

New routers get more frequent updates because they often ship with defects that need mending.

The R7000 has been around for some time. That means that Netgear has had time to fix bugs and settle down on the features.

Netgear still sells the R7000. When a device does fall off the support treadmill it usually shows up as "EOL" in the support pages.

The reason I asked the question is due to multiple stories detailing a vulnerability affecting Netgear routers, with the R7000 being among the affected routers. In order to patch this vulnerability, you would expect to see a firmware update. However, there has been no update since the Summer of 2019. 

See the following story for details of the vulnerability I'm mentioning:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/netgear-security-firmware-patches

There have also been other stories of routers having new vulnerabilities identified since the last firmware updated was issued. Ultimately, I am concerned about the security of my router, and do not think that it is being patched to new vulnerabilities. Moreover, I purchased the Netgear Armor by Bitdefender to shore up the security of my network. I encountered multiple problems with the service, despite working with support and peforming factory resets of the router. I ended up having to discontinue use of the service due to the unreliability it caused with use of my router. Perhaps this too is something that could have been fixed with a firmware update.

Lastly, the dynamic QOS optimization database for the router, has not been updated since Aug 2018. 

The reasons above are why I am asking if this router is no longer being supported by Netgear. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 8
James721
Luminary

@michaelkenward wrote:

@pharbrian wrote:

I see the last firmware update for the R7000 being issued around Aug 2019. Has firmware support for the R7000 been discontinued?

The only part of your post that is accurate is the last sentence. Are you living under a rock or in fantasy land ?  There are so many issues with the R7000 to many to even begin to mention and Netgear has left the customer in the dark. I would certainly consider the R7000 as EOL at this pont i doubt Netgear will ever make this model secure or function properly again. 

People look you need to highly consider upgrading to another vendor Netgear as clearly shown they can NOT produce a working firmware not only for the 7000 but most of there home routers including and not limited to there new AX models. This is the bottom line. 

Message 5 of 8
Squuiid
Luminary

@michaelkenward wrote:

@pharbrian wrote:

Yes, this bug in the latest firmware will brick an R7000, consistently. And when I say brick I mean you either open it up and connect an FTDI serial cable to the pins on the board or you send it back to Netgear.

Plus, as others have stated, there are many unaddressed vulnerabilities in the latest R7000 firmware. The R7000 is still being sold, it is totally unacceptable this day and age to be so lax on security and quality of firmware.

WARNING: R7000 boot loop bug in firmware V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.

Message 6 of 8

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.100 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Various security and bug fixes were addressed. We recommend that you restart your router before starting the update to ensure a successful update.

Message 7 of 8
shoman94
Apprentice

Yup and solid too! Finally! The first some since 1.0.9.42..... what was that 3 years ago?
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7