Is there a router update that is recommended?

jamesallen74
Aspirant

Is there a router update that is recommended?

I have been experiencing a lot of issues too with wifi disconnects, and slow wifi speeds, (on 1.0.4.14_1.1.50) even though when WIRED connection gives me a solid 30Mb down (what I am paying for) and 5Mb up (also my plan).

Over wifi, I MIGHT get 5Gb down, even though I am the only person in my neighborhood broadcasting on that channel, and my device is near the router (20 feet, no walls). Doesn't matter between 2.4G or 5G.

So I did a hard reset, and installed 1.0.0.96 the original, and did several hard resets after that. Still slow.

I am curious, which update (I have all of them downloaded) has been the best for people for reliability in wifi connections?
Message 1 of 14
netwrks
Master

Re: Is there a router update that is recommended?

For most people's needs the current Firmware Version 1.0.4.18_1.1.52 is stable.

DISABLE QoS in the router config and ensure WMM is ENABLED on the router and your wifi client. Ensure your wifi drivers are up to date on your wifi client.

Firmware update steps..

1 - Download the latest Firmware version to your desktop.
2 - Depress reset pin on back of the router (reset to factory default - hold reset in until power button flashes the release).
3 - connect to router (192.168.1.1) via a wired connection to router.
4 - from router update page use browse to your desktop to load FW version.
when router reboots REPEAT STEP 2.
5 - When router is reloaded reconnect to router 182.168.1.1. and manually reconfig router.
Message 2 of 14
RogerSC
Virtuoso

You might try the latest (R7000-V1.0.4.18_1.1.52) which has worked well for me. Apparently others have had problems with it, but it was consistent and reliable, and performed well for me. No WiFi problems here.

I hear that there's new firmware in the works, but that won't arrive for some time. Matter of weeks, too long to just wait for it *smile*.

Be sure to do a factory reset to defaults after flashing new firmware, and then manually re-enter your settings.

I should mention that there's also third-party firmware if you're interested: dd-wrt, tomato ARM, and now RMerlin's firmware on the R7000 as well.
Message 3 of 14
jamesallen74
Aspirant

So I do all that (QOS off, etc.) and on wifi, the best I get is around 8Mb/sec. I try moving different distances, 10ft, 20ft, 30ft. No improvement. When I go wired, it's back up to 30Mb/sec which is my ISP plan.

Is that normal for R7000 to be that slow on wifi? I tried both 2.4 and 5G, and both are set to top speed (2.4G @ 600Mbs and 5.0G @ 1300Mbs).

Oh and my computer is the only device connected to the router, as I haven't updated the phones wifi settings.

Am I just expecting too much from the R7000?
Message 4 of 14
RogerSC
Virtuoso

No, you're not expecting too much. I get close to my ISP max (29.75Mbps versus 30Mbps) on 5GHz. at the farthest point in my house away from my router. And the R7000 goes much, much faster with wireless without drops.

So I'm not sure what's going on at your place, but you're way below the speeds where you would have problems due to router limitations.
Message 5 of 14
cybrnook
Guide

You never mentioned what your wireless device is. Just because your on 5GHZ, doesn't mean your going to get full speed. Could very well be your wireless device and not the router.
Message 6 of 14
Jim769
Luminary

@Roger. Rmerlin firmware is for Asus routers I am not aware he has ever supported any Netgear routers. 🙂
Message 7 of 14
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Well, he isn't supporting it, he's helping the author, helps with answering questions and comments on specific issues: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/ Take a look, it's an interesting thread *smile*.
Message 8 of 14
swaaye
Novice

I can get around 10MB/s on 300mbps N and 30-40MB/s on AC with the R7000 and the current Netgear firmware.
Message 9 of 14
netwrks
Master

RogerSC, I just loaded the latest Asuswrt-Merlin FW onto one of my R7000's. No big issues. My configs are pretty basic, but all wifi works,and works well with my.ac chipset laptop. Has the ASUS look and feel, and a lot more options. Will see how things go..
Message 10 of 14
01R
Luminary
Luminary

netwrks wrote:
RogerSC,

I just loaded the latest Asuswrt-Merlin FW onto one of my R7000's. No big issues. My configs are pretty basic, but all wifi works,and works well with my.ac chipset laptop. Has the ASUS look and feel, and a lot more options. Will see how things go..

i saw that but it says if u use it that asus can and may and will sue u if u use there firmware ?
Message 11 of 14
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Netwrks, glad that it's working for you. Worked for me until I turned on IPv6, then things kind of fell apart. Lost my internet connection, and couldn't get it back until I disabled IPv6. If I hadn't turned on IPv6, it most likely would have been fine.

I've found that my Comcast ISP seems to pose some challenges to support of IPv6 for firmware developers. Seems to be one of the last ISP's that gets fully supported due to their IPv6 implementation.

Mostly I've been using the Asus RT-AC68P lately. Working very well with "John's Fork" of RMerlin's firmware, so I guess that I'm also using RMerlin firmware *smile*. IPv6 works well and consistently, and the wireless is great, too. Been meaning to try Shibby's tomato ARM on it, since support was just added for the RT-AC68P, but haven't gotten there yet.
Message 12 of 14
RogerSC
Virtuoso

01R wrote:
i saw that but it says if u use it that asus can and may and will sue u if u use there firmware ?

I don't think so. What's used is now just the open source pieces. Initially the developer had included some pieces that were Asus intellectual property, but those pieces have been removed.
Message 13 of 14
netwrks
Master

@RogerSC, I don't have a requirement for IPV6, yet, so no issues here. Only had to pull back the radio TX, as I kept losing my phones. Now, I have found a good TX power scheme for both WIFI frequencies, and all my wireless devices are staying connected! Pretty decent firmware.. Now, if only NG would get at it! 🙂
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E