Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is this a Joke?

ehouli
Aspirant

Is this a Joke?

I just received an email from Netgear about security improvement through a firmware update, that's fine (Screenshot attached).

But, the firmware is the same version I've had since setting up this router 2 months ago. Is this a Joke from netgear?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

No, Its a poorly designed email setup for updates. I've gotten the emails in the past as well. Its a good reminder for some but for those of us who update regularly, its a waste. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

No, Its a poorly designed email setup for updates. I've gotten the emails in the past as well. Its a good reminder for some but for those of us who update regularly, its a waste. 

Message 2 of 7
Global_Saffer
Apprentice

Updates in general seem to be a joke to Netgear.  They've known about the R7000 fimware issues for MONTHS, and it's been radio silence from them.  It's like they want their customers slating them on their own forums, and want us recommending other brands. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Thats a challenging one. I agree companies should do a little more in support of firmware. 

But from netgears perspective (I'm not an employee), they're ramping up production on wireless 6 (AX) products. When you're developing a new product line for release and investing in new technology (AX), do you keep your firmware teams working on older generation products or having all hands on deck to try to get the AX devices running?  From a supporting your customers perspective, you should be ironing out bugs on already purchased product. From a company perspective, you have to get your flagship product and new line devices running so they have a smooth release.  

so its a challenge balancing resources when new releases are coming out. 

Message 4 of 7
microchip8
Master

I also get these late emails. I think NG just wants to make sure you're on the latest firmware, in case you've forgotten to upgrade

Message 5 of 7
IrvSp
Master

@plemans wrote:

Thats a challenging one. I agree companies should do a little more in support of firmware. 

But from netgears perspective (I'm not an employee), they're ramping up production on wireless 6 (AX) products. When you're developing a new product line for release and investing in new technology (AX), do you keep your firmware teams working on older generation products or having all hands on deck to try to get the AX devices running?  From a supporting your customers perspective, you should be ironing out bugs on already purchased product. From a company perspective, you have to get your flagship product and new line devices running so they have a smooth release.  

so its a challenge balancing resources when new releases are coming out. 

You could be partially correct. They might move the DEVELOPMENT team (if they even have one) to newer products, but the Support team is a 3rd party. We already know what a mess they have made. Seems they have no checks and balances or any management direction. About all they've been able to do is include Armour into firmware to create a new money stream for NG.

A company perspective should include all functions and products UNLESS you decide to SUNSET or NOT SUPPORT the old(er) products (they should also be removed from the retail sales channel as well). NG has NOT done this.

Support sorely need some oversight and management IMHO.

Sending out e-mails, should be done immediately after release. It isn't. Some are lucky and they get a notice for the router they own, some do not.

There is no excuse for not supporting your customers. Eventually you will not have any if they keep this up. Many here have declared they would A) never buy a NG product again, or B) never tell anyone to buy NG!

Message 6 of 7
myersw
Master

Color me for both above. No Netgear for me and would not recommend even to an enemy. If in a store such as Best Buy and see someone eyeing a Netgear router I would tell them to move on. 

The 3rd party firmware provided is a joke. Hopefully they are not also doing them for development of the AX firmware. If so Netgear is doomed I am afraid. 

Really sad part is Netgear used to be the go to vendor for quality just works routers. Now it is bug of the day with them. 

This forum has Netgear moderators watching, but other then tell you to call support or do a reset they are of no help. Some other vendors the mods will actually talk with the engineering folks to get an answer. Of course that assumes that for the most part the firmware works so engineering is not inundated with issues, which cannot be said for the Netgear firmware. There are some pretty basic issues with the Netear firmware such as why plugging in my Netgear router I get half the Internet speed I get when connecting a PC directly to the modem? That is a biggie and has been for months! 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7