Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is this a hardware issue or router issue?

jusjohn55
Aspirant

Is this a hardware issue or router issue?

I don't know what is going on. Ever since we switched from the Xfinity modem to 3 different custom rouer modems, my packets were constantly being loss. However, my brother's laptop was fine with these custom router modems. After 3 different devices, we settled on the C7000v2. Like before, I constantly lag while my brother is doing just fine. I thought it was a hardware issue but we went back to the Xfinity modem today and my connection won't drop and I don't loose packets anymore. What is going on? I really want to use the C7000v2 but it seems like anything that isn't a Xfinity router or modem just won't work for me. Do you guys know any settings that could stablize the packet loss on the C7000v2 login? Could you send me a screen shot of your settings? Also, is it bad to use the C7000v2 since it is a modem router combo? Should I just buy a modem and buy a router? If so, what would a good combo be that is below 300 dollars.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The c7000v2 is a docsis 3.0 device. You don't put what the xfinity modem model is. If it was a docsis 3.1 device, it might have been a little more tolerant of signal issues. You don't include any logs or signal info either. 
I'd log into the c7000v2's connections page and logs page. Take a screen snip of both (get all the info) and post it back here. It can help determine if your line is borderline. If the signals sketchy but not fully bad, it might have been why the xfinity model tolerated it better. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The c7000v2 is a docsis 3.0 device. You don't put what the xfinity modem model is. If it was a docsis 3.1 device, it might have been a little more tolerant of signal issues. You don't include any logs or signal info either. 
I'd log into the c7000v2's connections page and logs page. Take a screen snip of both (get all the info) and post it back here. It can help determine if your line is borderline. If the signals sketchy but not fully bad, it might have been why the xfinity model tolerated it better. 

Message 2 of 15
jusjohn55
Aspirant

Where can I find the connections page and the logs page?

Message 3 of 15
jusjohn55
Aspirant

Also, how does this explain that I have issues while my brother doesn't? He is actually further from the router than I am too.

Message 4 of 15
plemans
Guru

The main page of the browser admin page has "connections". click on it. 

for the logs go to ADVANCED > Administration > Logs.

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

Well we first have to determine if its a modem issue or a router issue. 

You didn't put much info on your post about your computer or his but maybe his computer has a better wifi card in it. 

Or maybe your wifi card has issues that respond better to certain wifi chipsets. 

and without knowing the xfinity model you're using, we don't have much info. maybe the xfinity one has band steering and is placing you on a better channel. the C7000v2 doesn't have band steering. 

what wifi card are you using?

have you tried changing wireless channels? 

its tough to troubleshoot with vague information. 

Message 6 of 15
myersw
Master

What is your Xfinity speed? If above about 300 then the c7000v2 which is a docsis 3.0 device will not be able to handle the speed. 

I personally prefer individual boxes for things including network. I, personally, would never buy a modem/router combo. Like being able to swap one out and not have to start over. Also run a NAS rather then using the USB feature of a router. 

Message 7 of 15
jusjohn55
Aspirant

Ok, so, I have a custom built PC. i7 7700k, 1060 6GB, ASUS ROG STRIX Z270e. My wifi card is the Intel ac9260. My brother, has a gaming laptop that locks his gameplay at 60 fps(VERY OLD LAPTOP). His cpu is the i7m(Couldn't find any numbers). A gpu of the 960. And an ac3165 intel wifi card. I cannot send you a log of the C7000v2 yet because I have the Xfinity one plugged in and I do not have the access to account to have Xfinty switch the service back to the C7000v2. I will post the log really soon. Thank you for answering my questions so far and sorry that I cannot post the logs right away, I will do so either today or tomorrow since my parents are not here atm.

Message 8 of 15
jusjohn55
Aspirant

How does one run a NAS? Never heard of this before. Does the Xfinity router run a NAS and the C7000 doesn't?

Message 9 of 15
plemans
Guru

@jusjohn55 wrote:

How does one run a NAS? Never heard of this before. Does the Xfinity router run a NAS and the C7000 doesn't?

Some netgear routers can have a external hard drive connected to them so you can use it as network attached storage.I'm with @myersw in that I prefer actual designed nas's or servers for my storage needs instead of the router running them. 

Message 10 of 15
jusjohn55
Aspirant

Ok so my xfinity modem is the xb6. Can you link me a router or modem(Doesnt have to be netgear), that has this external drive? Also, what are some differences between the xfinty settings and the c7000v2? 

Message 11 of 15
plemans
Guru

so your brothers laptop which is older runs better.  Even though he has a slower wifi card, slower computer. I'll bet his resolution is lower than your desktop monitor or even your potentially dual monitor. Google 4k vs 1440p vs 1080p vs 720p gaming bandwidth needs. It escalates quickly in requirements, your own system needs. Potentially his needs are significantly lower than yours if his system is older. 

One thing that many miss out on is that for gaming, upload speeds are pretty important. Cable ISP's might have a 200mbps download but a 5mbps upload. if you're running a better screen/resolution you might be needing more upload speeds than he does and this could be a factor as well. 

Message 12 of 15
jusjohn55
Aspirant

Can you link me a router and a modem that would be great for what I need then? We get 110 mbps with our plan. Could you link me one with this "NAS"?

Message 13 of 15
jusjohn55
Aspirant

@plemans also, is the xfinty modem I have (xb6) a 3.1 or 3.0 docis?

Message 14 of 15
plemans
Guru

@jusjohn55 wrote:

@plemans also, is the xfinty modem I have (xb6) a 3.1 or 3.0 docis?

The xb6 is docsis 3.1. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Technicolor_CGM4140COM

many of the netgear routers have readyshare abilities including the C7000 you have. Problem is that it isn't truly a NAS so its more finicky with what drives and formats it supports. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24059/What-are-the-USB-drive-requirements-for-my-Nighthawk-router

https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE

You didn't follow up with any of your connections/logs info. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7