Reply

Is this brand new router a dud?

notafan
Aspirant

Is this brand new router a dud?

I just spent almost two hours with tech support which could not get this brand new router working. Initially it refused to let a computer connected by cable into the log in page. Then the router kept saysing it was not getting an internet signal (from the cable modem) and the light on the front of the box remained amber. However the router was in fact getting an internet data stream that it was passing via wireless and wired connection. Umpteen resets, reboots etc did not clear the problem--the light remains amber, the  modem says it has no internet signal but it is passing an internet signal via wired and wireless connections. When I substituted another router (not Netgear) no problems. So does anyone know of a solution or is this router an example of Netgear factory quality control?

Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
William10a
Master

Re: Is this brand new router a dud?


@notafanwrote:

I just spent almost two hours with tech support which could not get this brand new router working. Initially it refused to let a computer connected by cable into the log in page. Then the router kept saysing it was not getting an internet signal (from the cable modem) and the light on the front of the box remained amber. However the router was in fact getting an internet data stream that it was passing via wireless and wired connection. Umpteen resets, reboots etc did not clear the problem--the light remains amber, the  modem says it has no internet signal but it is passing an internet signal via wired and wireless connections. When I substituted another router (not Netgear) no problems. So does anyone know of a solution or is this router an example of Netgear factory quality control?


Is the internet led is amber ?

When you say that you not log in to the router via a computer what does it do or say?

What modem do you have does it have a router in it?

If the routers wifi is working you should be able to log into via the users name and password given on the bottom name plate a note that should have been with the router.

If I followed in the last part of posting you are saying that the router is passing the internet via wifi and wired connection ?

I know you say you place another router and everthing works great.

If modem shows no internet how is the signal getting on the network?

Message 2 of 9
antinode
Guru

Re: Is this brand new router a dud?

> [...] this brand new router [...]

   Not a very detailed description.

> Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router

   Is that accurate?  Firmware version?

> [...] it refused to let a computer connected by cable into the log in
> page. [...]

   "refused to let" is not a useful problem description.  It does not
say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As
usual, showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages,
LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

> [...] Then the router kept saysing it was not getting an internet
> signal (from the cable modem) [...]

   How, exactly, was it saying this?  (See above.)

> [...] the  modem says it has no internet signal but it is passing an
> internet signal via wired and wireless connections.

   Do you mean "the router"?  How, exactly, are you testing this?

> [...] does anyone know of a solution or is this router an example of
> Netgear factory quality control?

   It could be garbage hardware or firmware, or neither, but it's tough
to tell without a better problem description.

   Other potentially interesting basic info would include:
      ISP?
      The model of your "the cable modem"?
      How is any of this stuff configured?
         Is your "the cable modem" a modem or a modem+router?
         How is the "Internet Setup" on the R6800 configured?

Message 3 of 9
notafan
Aspirant

Re: Is this brand new router a dud?

I cannot be more clear. This is a brand new router with whatever firmware it came with, the tech support advised not to update the fire ware. When you connect the router to a cable modem there should ultimately be a white and not amber light next to the power light. Mine remains amber which indicates there is no internet data coming from the modem. No amount of resetting the router or modem yields any different result. On the login/set up page for the router the icon for internet set up says there is no internet signal and internet setup cannot be completed automatically or manually. However the router is indeed getting an internet signal from the modem and passing it via Ethernet connected to the router and wirelessly using the default password. So either the router is defective or there is something about the internet signal being passed from the modem such that the router does not recognize that signal as an internet stream for purposes of configuring the router. So while some may think that impossible I assure you NETGEAR has records of the tech support session. Before returning the router I will see if I can try it in a different network setting but that may not be possible.

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Re: Is this brand new router a dud?


@notafanwrote:

I cannot be more clear. 


Well, instead of mostly repeating like a hadliner story in the press you could answer the requests for information asked by community members.

 

@notafan wrote:

This is a brand new router with whatever firmware it came with, the tech support advised not to update the fire ware. 

Strange advise. There had been many updates, some addressing security issues over the past weeks. What firmware version is in place?

 

@notafan wrote:

When you connect the router to a cable modem there should ultimately be a white and not amber light next to the power light. 

First an Ethernet connection is established to the cable modem - amber LED - and once the router is able to detect the Internet connectivity it does change to white. Granted: This can be a fast process ideally.

 

Internet LED:
Solid white. The Internet connection is ready.

Solid amber. The router detected an Ethernet cable connection to the modem.

Off. No Ethernet cable is connected between the router and the modem.

 

@notafan wrote:

Mine remains amber which indicates there is no internet data coming from the modem. ... On the login/set up page for the router the icon for internet set up says there is no internet signal and internet setup cannot be completed automatically or manually.

This just tells us that the Internet LED and the Web UI does find the very same status, and why ever the router does fail to access the Internet in a free/unrestricted way - whatever tests Netgear does to check the Internet connectivity.

 

@notafan wrote:

However the router is indeed getting an internet signal from the modem and passing it via Ethernet connected to the router and wirelessly using the default password. So either the router is defective or there is something about the internet signal being passed from the modem such that the router does not recognize that signal as an internet stream for purposes of configuring the router.

 

 

Erase the signal idea - there is no Internet signal. The router does run some tests (DNS name to IP address resolution, and whatever) to check the successful Internet connection. If the tests succeed, the system does detect the Internet connectivity and 

Do you try to tell us there is a fully working Internet access using the default wireless config? 

 

@notafan wrote:

So while some may think that impossible I assure you NETGEAR has records of the tech support session. 

You talk to community members spending spare time and know-how here - we have no insight on any Netgear support records.

 

@notafan wrote:

Before returning the router I will see if I can try it in a different network setting but that may not be possible.

More interesting than the Internet Error - not connected information and the test triggered when clicking on the link (which is aimed much more towards DSL and other ISP Internet connections requiring some kind of tunneling configuration (like PPPoE, PPTP, ...) ...

 

R9000 Internet - Error not connected.PNG

 

...would be the status of the Internet port in the Advanced Home - here an example where the router does not get a config by DHCP (while the related Ethernet link is up):

 

R9000 WAN Port no Internet config pxlr.PNG

 

If there is no Internet connection available on the wireless, or it's kind of limited, cold reboot both cable modem, wait a few minutes, and then reboot the router.

 

Thank you for providing some more insight...

Message 5 of 9

Re: Is this brand new router a dud?


@schumaku wrote:

If there is no Internet connection available on the wireless, or it's kind of limited, cold reboot both cable modem, wait a few minutes, and then reboot the router.

 


 

And do it all in the right order.

 

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

  • Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Getting this wrong has been the cause of many failures like the one described here.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 9
notafan
Aspirant

Re: Is this brand new router a dud?

I appreciate anyone's help or suggestion but it frustrating to buy an expensive device, spend hours with telephone tech support and still find the device will not work. It was particularly irritating to see a message from the router that there was no internet signal when the router was passing internet signals via wireless and cable--I would look at the router setup page, along with the amber light on the router, telling me there was no internet signal from the modem yet I could open multiple tabs on the browser to any web address or connect wirelessly and do the same. This was consistent and reproducible however bizarre.

 

I discussed this with an IT professional. Since I had another cable modem and have OCD I decided to switch out the modem and see what happened.

 

I connected the router  to a different modem which I registered with the cable company, a major hassle,  although they insisted there was nothing wrong with the cable router I was using. After multiple resets of the router and the modem, the Nighthawk router takes at least three minutes to fully boot, they communicated and the internet light on the Netgear router glowed white instead of amber and the router passed internet data wirelessly or via ethernet. However it was still impossible to log in to the Netgear router via computer connected by ethernet cable directly to the router, either Windows 10 or OSX, or with a variety of browsers with cleared caches. Because the router was broadcasting a wireless signal detected by phone and tablet If the router was preliminarily set up via a wireless connection using the iOS Netgear app and default password only then could I enter the router using an ethernet connected computer to finish setting up the minimal needed parameters, like wifi network names and passwords. When I was finally and reliably able to enter the setup for the router using an ethernet connected computer I allowed the router to update its firmware because why not given how it acted with the firmware already on the thing.

I will give it a day or two and test other parameters before deciding whether to return the router or keep it.

Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 7 of 9
antinode
Guru

Re: Is this brand new router a dud?

> I cannot be more clear. [...]

   That's unfortunate, because it may make help impossible to provide.

> [...] it frustrating to buy an expensive device, spend hours with
> telephone tech support and still find the device will not work. [...]

   Trying to help without a proper problem report is no treat, either.

> [...] a different modem [...]

   Also not a very detailed description.

> [...] However it was still impossible to log in to the Netgear router
> [...]

>    "refused to let" is not a useful problem description.  It does not
> say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As
> usual, showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages,
> LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
> interpretations.

   Did you think that "impossible to log in" was an improvement over
"refused to let"?  It's not.

   I'm sure that some people here would like to be helpful, but it's
tough to do without any useful information.  (My car refused to start.
What do you think is wrong with it?  I even tried a different key.)

Message 8 of 9

Re: Is this brand new router a dud?


@notafan wrote:

After multiple resets of the router and the modem, the Nighthawk router takes at least three minutes to fully boot, they communicated and the internet light on the Netgear router glowed white instead of amber and the router passed internet data wirelessly or via ethernet. However it was still impossible to log in to the Netgear router via computer connected by ethernet cable directly to the router, either Windows 10 or OSX, or with a variety of browsers with cleared caches.

 

Forgive me for removing the rest of your message. I'm trying to home in on the key bits. This quote seems to capture the issue, removing stuff that probably doesn't add to the saga.

 

Am I right in thinking that the thing is working but you cannot get into the browser interface to manage the router?

 

Three minutes is not strange for a modem and router to work out how to coexist. (Ever worked with a dial up modem, let alone an acoustic coupler?) A lot is going on there as the modem and router work out how to play nicely together.

 

The inability to get into the browser interface is a different issue. It is very well covered in many of the messages on this forum. The solutions depend on local circumstances. Which means, I'm afraid, that you need to tell us more.

 

Maybe this does not apply to your circumstances. It isn't easy to unravel what is going on from your message. If I have got it wrong, just let us know where. The simpler the better.

 

 

 

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 963 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E