Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue entering IPv6 DNS servers on R7000

drwebster
Aspirant

Issue entering IPv6 DNS servers on R7000

When I try to enter the IPv6 DNS servers, they always revert to these symbols and "unde" after I click apply (see screenshot). I tried resetting the router to factory defaults, both "Auto" and manually selecting "DHCP" for internet connection type, as well as using multiple web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge). I still have the same problem. I am running the latest firmware (1.0.11.116). This seems like a firmware bug to me, but I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or has ideas to get it working.

These are the DNS servers I am trying to use:

2606:4700:4700:0000:0000:0000:0000:1111
2606:4700:4700:0000:0000:0000:0000:1001

ipv6 dns e.jpg

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
drwebster
Aspirant

Re: Issue entering IPv6 DNS servers on R7000

@michaelkenward wrote:

@toucan_stubs wrote:
Same thing was happening to me. I downgraded the firmware from 1.0.11.116 to 1.0.11.110 and was able to enter the numbers.

Good research.

Ignore me if you don't want the hassle, and I know it is tempting fate, but have you, by any chance, tried to update the firmware since you did that?

The savings should stick even with the new firmware. Just avoid any temptation to reset the thing. BUt even there if you save the settings and then happy them later it should work.

I don't see why users should have to do experiments like that, but Netgear won't dive in in a hurry and you could help others in the same boat.

I tried your idea of downgrading to 1.0.11.110, setting the IPv6 DNS servers, and then upgrading back to 1.0.11.116. It worked! Thank you for the workaround idea! Hopefully they fix this in the next firmware release.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
drwebster
Aspirant

For some reason the screenshot isn't showing inline on my original post. It's also attached.

Message 2 of 7
toucan_stubs
Initiate

Same thing was happening to me. I downgraded the firmware from 1.0.11.116 to 1.0.11.110 and was able to enter the numbers.
Message 3 of 7

@toucan_stubs wrote:

Good research.

Ignore me if you don't want the hassle, and I know it is tempting fate, but have you, by any chance, tried to update the firmware since you did that?

The savings should stick even with the new firmware. Just avoid any temptation to reset the thing. BUt even there if you save the settings and then happy them later it should work.

I don't see why users should have to do experiments like that, but Netgear won't dive in in a hurry and you could help others in the same boat.

Message 4 of 7
toucan_stubs
Initiate

The error was due to a bug in the page's Javascript code, which looked to be analyzing the input as it was being typed in. I'm pretty sure the new settings would hold if I upgraded back to the newest firmware. But I might be changing the DNS settings again, so for now I won't be upgrading until the next firmware release.

Message 5 of 7
drwebster
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@toucan_stubs wrote:

Good research.

I tried your idea of downgrading to 1.0.11.110, setting the IPv6 DNS servers, and then upgrading back to 1.0.11.116. It worked! Thank you for the workaround idea! Hopefully they fix this in the next firmware release.

Message 6 of 7

@drwebster wrote:
I tried your idea of downgrading to 1.0.11.110, setting the IPv6 DNS servers, and then upgrading back to 1.0.11.116. It worked! Thank you for the workaround idea!

Many thanks for doing that.

Along with @toucan_stubs you have come up with a fix for anyone else who hits this brick wall.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7