Issue with connecting to Netgear Router when Virgin Media Internet Drops

richgit
Aspirant

Issue with connecting to Netgear Router when Virgin Media Internet Drops

Hi all,

I have a frustrating problem I'd love to fix - I run a Virgin Media Superhub 3.0 in 'Modem Mode' running directly to my R6400 which transmits 2.4 and 5GHz wifi to my mobile devices and 2 wireless Sonos speakers, as well as having an ethernet cable running to a 24 port network switch which is then connected to 5 Sonos amps (running to regular speakers) and various other devices like my NAS drive.

I point my Sonos speakers and amps to my NAS drive to play music, however when Virgin Media is down (happens a couple of times a month, momentarily), my Sonos speakers stop working, and my phone displays 'no internet' and suddenly requires a password as if a setting has suddenly changed on my router.

I bought a Nighthawk router so that it could manage it's own independent LAN so that if the external internet connection was down I could still access my local media so there weren't any interruptions, however it hasn't resolved this.

Is there a fix to this issue so that my local wifi / lan still continues, uninterrupted, even if the internet is down?

Thanks

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Issue with connecting to Netgear Router when Virgin Media Internet Drops

@richgit wrote:

Is there a fix to this issue so that my local wifi / lan still continues, uninterrupted, even if the internet is down?

The local LAN should stay alive when the Internet goes down, if that is what you mean.

But it isn't clear to me what is going on at your end and how it is all wired up.

I assume that you have put the Virgin Media Superhub 3.0 into true bridge mode, and not just turned the wifi. (Virgin hubs don't always make this easy.) I assume that Virgin Media is your Internet service, and not some multimedia add on.

The trouble is that some wifi speakers are actually cloud devices. They won't work without the Internet. Likewise phones.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
richgit
Aspirant

Re: Issue with connecting to Netgear Router when Virgin Media Internet Drops

Thanks and yes - that's what I mean, I would have thought the local LAN still continued, uninterrupted. I appreciate Sonos is designed to connect to the internet but would have expected it to have continued playing music from a local NAS source, surely the outside internet connection shouldn't affect this? 

The second thing that happens is that my smartphone drops off and says 'no internet', then the android system seems to want a password for the wifi, even though the 2.4 and 5ghz signals are still being transmitted from the netgear router. So then the Sonos app doesn't work either.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E