Re: Issues with drive or enclosure

jstotz
Aspirant

Issues with drive or enclosure

I bought a 3 TB WD red drive and a external USB 3 enclosure for use with an R7000. The enclosure was an inexpensive Inland brand which is apparently MicroCenter's house brand. I followed the instructions from Netgear on how to set up the drive to be a Mac time machine backup. This included formatting the drive on a Mac as AFP. When I plugged the drive into the USB 3 port on the router, it showed up in the web interface, but it showed the size of the drive as about 300 megabytes, not the 3 TB that it should have shown. The enclosure is supposed to handle drives up to 4TB. I returned the enclosure, partly because I thought it was the problem, and partly because it had a automatic drive sleep function which could not be turned off. (When the drive size showed up incorrectly, the drive was still awake.) I have not gotten a new enclosure yet.

I want to find out how likely it was that the enclosure and/or it's chipset was the problem. (I don't know which chipset it had.) When I get a new enclosure, what chipset should I look for? Are there ones that are known to work or not work?

Also, I want to know if the R7000 has a problem with drives that use Advanced Format 4K sectors. Does it handle them correctly or require 512K sector emulation?

(BTW, I was running the firmware that came with the router when I purchased it in December 2013) I think I upgraded it to a newer one but I may not have gone to the latest because I read people were having problems with it.)

Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If your drive is on this list contact support if not you might consider purchasing one from this list.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzg2NjgzMTc1L3...
Message 2 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18985

I would clean up the link after knowledge base number. Some time it will fail to link up
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 5
jstotz
Aspirant

Thanks for the link. However, I think those drives are all commercial external drives sold as a drive in an enclosure. Is there a list of compatible internal drives? Or a list of approved chipsets?
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Other place you can read and join is here

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=88052

Knowledge base will not have internal compatibility list
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]