Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues with speeds on Nighthawk AC2300 -RS400.

bestbostonian
Initiate

Issues with speeds on Nighthawk AC2300 -RS400.

I have a Nighthawk AC2300/RS400 Cybersecurity Router. I have Gbps speed from FiOS. I can not get my router to achieve anywhere close to that speed. I have done a factory reset and soft resets. I have tested by plugging my Xbox series X direct into my ONT and speed test in that configuration is roughly 980Mbps. Then I put ONT > Nighthawk > Xbox and the best speeds I can get is 240Mbps. That is all done using ethernet. CAT 6 from ONT and CAT 5e from the router. I have tried plugging in ONT > FiOS Quantum router > Xbox and using the exact same cables i can still get 980Mbps on the Xbox speed test. I have disabled NETGEAR NetArmor and dynamic QoS on the Nighthawk and it does not change my speeds what so ever. Performing a speed test from my router shows about the same speeds of anywhere from 240Mbps to 320Mbps. So short of replacing the router what else can I do??? SO FRUSTRATED!!!

Model: RS400|Nigthhawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Disappointed12
Aspirant

Re: Issues with speeds on Nighthawk AC2300 -RS400.

I don't have a solution, but I do have very similar issue. I bought the RS400/AC2300 about a year ago for its security features. However, I have noticed major performance issues lately (starting late 2020). I have Spectrum Cable Internet. From my PC wired connection, I get about 111Mbps down and from my mobile phone on 5G wireless I get about 75Mbps. However, after a few days of up time, the speeds deteriorate. The longer the up time and the more traffic through the router, the slower it gets until I reboot it. Speeds drop to as low as 25Mbps wired and below 20Mbps on 5G wireless. After reboot, speeds return to those stated above for a short time then begin to deteriorate again. Oh, I should also mention, that I'm supposed to get 200Mbps. I removed my Netgear router and replaced it with one provided by Spectrum. I immediately got 236Mbps wired and 232Mbps on 5G wireless and these speeds remain consistent after 24-hours of up time. I believe the RS400 has a firmware bug which Netgear has yet to identify or resolve so I now have a $225.00 Netgear paper weight. This is very disappointing because this router has excellent security features which I can no longer take advantage of.

Model: RS400|Nigthhawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
bestbostonian
Initiate

Re: Issues with speeds on Nighthawk AC2300 -RS400.

So, after I spent 3 hours on the phone, paying for the support and "troubelshooting my router issues", they agreed I had a hardware issue. I had to pay to send my router back, was refunded the fee I paid for support. I was sent a "lab tested router" which I assume is code for refurbished. I can get descent internet speed from my computer but my xbox (over brand new CAT 6 cable) still sits at about 211Mbps. as far as Wi-Fi, the best I have gotten so far, while next to the router on the 5G band is about 415Mbps. Still not 100% satisfied with this router but I know if I call them again they will point to the fact that i get ~850Mbps on my PC and tell me its not the router's fault. Best of luck but I will probably search for another router.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router, RS400|Nigthhawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7