Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Just bought a Nighthawk x6 R7900 but no upstream or downstream qos settings, return it?

HydroKr0n1k
Aspirant

Just bought a Nighthawk x6 R7900 but no upstream or downstream qos settings, return it?

Bought this router, but it is missing the configuration tabs that others show allowing you to set QOS upstream and downstream.

I wnat to be able to manually limit these things with an exact number.

I do not want to prioritize and allow them total bandiwdth usage when another device is not on the network. 

If this is not possible I will be returning and buying a diff brand as thi is my 2nd nighthawk and neither do any of this. Kind of false representation compared to what the videos and everything show, that content should be updated and these option  not listed in item details on amazon this is more a "Highway Robbery" or "False Advertisement" gimmick.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
HydroKr0n1k
Aspirant

Re: Just bought a Nighthawk x6 R7900 but no upstream or downstream qos settings, return it?

So again your not answering the question, are there other moderators?

Why cant we access the provided section.

Betgear is a wash and I will be returning the device and switching.

What a bust worst bunch of customer service and what a poor advertisement of software the device doesnt have this is false marketing.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
HydroKr0n1k
Aspirant

With what i am getting on the left and what I expected on the right.

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

You can click on the "i want to manually define my internet bandwidth"

What internet speeds do you pay for? If you subscribe to >300mbps, you shouldn't need qos. 

Message 3 of 10
HydroKr0n1k
Aspirant

Thanks but that is only a setting to help QOS "prioritize traffick" and doesn't affect the QOS upstream or downstream by device.... it sets the total alottable bandwidth that will be negotiated by QOS
Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

What speeds do you pay for?
After a certain speeds, qos isn't beneficial and actually tends to slow your speeds as traffic needs to be inspected
Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Message 6 of 10
HydroKr0n1k
Aspirant

Thanks but it's not a matter of maximum speed. I want the devices to be completely limited to 1Mbs or 10Mbs or w/e I choose by device. Thay way i can limit devices on my network. If it's not possible I can just get my $$ back and keep shopping. I have a house with quite a few flatmates and want to make sure our cell phones and other devices chrome cast etc are limited to a set amount.
Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

You are probably correct.

The reason qos isn't recommended above 250 mbps is that qos slows speeds past 250mbps. Its one of the complaints we see "why is my gigabit connection only hitting 200-300mbps?".  If you have speeds >250mbps and are going to use qos, its pointless to have faster speeds. 

Here's a little article from smallnetbuilder or dynamic qos and using it. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/32970-how-to-choose-the-best-router-qos

The dynamic qos does let you prioritize by device as far as I know. 

It does look like netgear moved to dynamic qos at firmware version 1.0.0.8. 

What firmware are you on? Your screen snip shows that your device is ready for an update. 

Message 8 of 10
HydroKr0n1k
Aspirant

So again your not answering the question, are there other moderators?

Why cant we access the provided section.

Betgear is a wash and I will be returning the device and switching.

What a bust worst bunch of customer service and what a poor advertisement of software the device doesnt have this is false marketing.

Message 9 of 10
HydroKr0n1k
Aspirant

My answer marked as resolution because it was ditching the netgear that fixed my problem.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7