Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Kaspersky VPN for Netgear Nighthawk 7000?

ktburgh
Aspirant

Kaspersky VPN for Netgear Nighthawk 7000?

I just installed the Nighthawk 7000 wifi router. I want to install our Kaspersky VPN on this to protect all our devices (which we previously had to have installed on every device individually) but I can only find a way to turn on the VPN from Netgear when I'm in the router settings not where to add one. Is there a way to do this? Or is the Netgear VPN as strong as a Kaspersky VPN would be?

Also, I see where I can download OpenVPN configuration package download for Windows, Non- Windows, and Smart phone. If I would go with the Netgear VPN do I have to have these configuration packages downloaded to all devices? I thought if I have a VPN on my routher that I don't have to have anything downloaded to every device, that as long as the device is connected to the router that that device is protected. Please help.

Thank you.

Model: R8900|Nighthawk X10 AD7000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
ktburgh
Aspirant

Re: Kaspersky VPN for Netgear Nighthawk 7000?

Just wanted to clarify that the router is a R7000 — Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 4
GregGreg
Star

@ktburgh 

A bit of theory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network
Kasperski VPN - creates an encrypted tunnel between your device and Kaspersky's network infrastructure and anonymizes data (your ISP has no idea what websites you are viewing).
Netgear OpenVPN - allows you to configure an encrypted tunnel between your device and the Netgear R7000 router.
Application example:
you have a private photo file server on your home network
you have gone on vacation and you won't normally get to it from your laptop.
You start an OpenVPN connection to your roter and have access to your file server

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4
ktburgh
Aspirant

@GregGreg Interesting. So to make sure I understand this correctly, they work differently...the Netgear Open VPN allows me to access things at home safely no matter where I am, whereas the Kaspersky VPN makes my websites unseen, correct? Sorry, I'm not techy but I know I don't want anyone or any website to be able to see what I'm doing. Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7