Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Keep losing internet connection

Ewillhelm
Aspirant

Keep losing internet connection

So my 27000P is behind an AT&T router. Every couple days, the internet connection is gone, and the only way to get it back is a restart. This is annoying as the kids are all doing school online, and they all come running to me freaking out that they lost the connection. At first I thought setting static IP addresses might fix it, as I noticed this often happens when I turn on another device after everyone else is on. But a tech savvy friend of mine says that shouldn't be necessary. "I have 4 computers, 2 Alexas, 4 phones etc all going day in and day out and I never had to do that." 

I am currently in Router mode. Would I be better of in AP mode? I read the descriptions of both, and at the time Router sounded like it made more sense, but I could be wrong. 

I also have the QoS thing going. Is that actually a detrimental thing? I can easily imagine folks saying, "Oh heck no, turn that off. It's a nightmare." So worth a check, I guess.

Anyone have any helpful input here?

Thanks!

Oh, and I also notice the firmware update check never detects new firmware. It'll say no new updates available, but then if I Google it, there IS a new one, so I've been doing manual firmware updates. I am currently on 1.3.2.126_10.1.66

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

What att router are you using? 

Is it in passthrough/modem only mode? 

Or the netgears IP address entered into the ATT devices dmz? 

Or you could try the netgear in access point mode. 

otherwise your running a double nat. It might be causing your issue. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 4
Ewillhelm
Aspirant

Router is a BGW210 

It is in passthru mode. Its firewall settings are thus...

Packet Filter: On

IP Passthru: On

NAT default server: Off

Firewall advanced: On

That said, I don't think it's doing any of the dmz stuff.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

have you tried it with the att router in router mode and the netgear in access point mode?
that model of att router isn't known for the greatest passthrough mode. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7