Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN Speed Issue with R6700

kennyshewchuk
Aspirant

LAN Speed Issue with R6700

Good Evening,

I have a media server that accesses the internet through my router on the first LAN port. Initially, I was pulling about 900mbps on my gigabit internet connection. All of a sudden I am pulling 400mbps consistently from multiple speed testing websites.

I am wondering what is going on in the router that is causing this issue. I have disables QOS and WMM, and I setup a static IP for my server, but I cannot figure this out.

If anyone can make some suggestions on what might be slowing me down it would be very much appreciated!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: LAN Speed Issue with R6700

So the direct connection ran at ~900, and the router wired path also ran about ~900, but suddenly dropped to ~400.  Retesting the direct connection still showed ~900.   Is that all correct?

Rebooting the router and the media server is the obvious first step - if you haven't done that, you should start there.  Disconnect any other devices from the router, just in case they are active (windows update or some similar drag you might not realize is going on).

If you have done that, maybe try resetting the router, and test it with the factory default settings.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

WMM should be enabled, but that only applies to WiFi, not wired connections.

Did you try connecting the media server directly to the internet port (bypassing the router), and measure the speed that way?

Message 2 of 5
kennyshewchuk
Aspirant

I did connect it directly and received about 900mbps. It only seems to slow down when I am going through the router.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

So the direct connection ran at ~900, and the router wired path also ran about ~900, but suddenly dropped to ~400.  Retesting the direct connection still showed ~900.   Is that all correct?

Rebooting the router and the media server is the obvious first step - if you haven't done that, you should start there.  Disconnect any other devices from the router, just in case they are active (windows update or some similar drag you might not realize is going on).

If you have done that, maybe try resetting the router, and test it with the factory default settings.

Message 4 of 5
kennyshewchuk
Aspirant

It appears my router had some configuration issues beyond just this particular issue. My ISP determined I needed to take the router to factory defaults to resolve another issue.

Thank you for the suggestion, I am now running closer to 700mbps which is at least better than where I was at.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7