LAN links reporting status is DOWN

NovaJim
Aspirant

LAN links reporting status is DOWN

Brand new wifi router showing all LAN links down even though a PC is plugged in and reaching the internet.  Link to the internet consistently drops.  Direct connect to the cable modem resolves the dropping internet condition.

Why are the LAN port status down?   The LAN link light flashes when PC is plugged into a LAN port.  Is there a known resolution to this problem?  If this unit is defective how can I get a RMA?  The website sends you in circles(some links don't work).

Please help.

FYI:  I attempted to speak with someone in chat but they never responded.  Not a hello or anything.  I tried a second time to reach someone on chat and the page never finished.  I'm worried about customer support not being readily available.  

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 17

Re: LAN links reporting status is DOWN

@NovaJim wrote:

Brand new wifi router showing all LAN links down

What tells you that the LAN ports are down?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 17
NovaJim
Aspirant

Advanced Tab

inside the Internet Port box click on Show Statistics

Show Statistics

System Up Time 17:57:33
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN 1000M/Full 146021 1262188 0 389 3845 17:56:41
LAN1 Link Down 0 74567 0 0 0 --
LAN2 Link Down --
LAN3 Link Down --
LAN4 Link Down --
2.4G WLAN b/g/n 600M 79044 4416 0 445 11 17:57:08
5G WLAN a/n/ac 1625M 225034 26737 0 3056 56 17:57:08
Message 3 of 17

Is there something connected to those ports?

What is your modem?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 17
NovaJim
Aspirant

PC tried in all ports(1-4).  hard wired cat 6, no long runs, all equip. on my desk(now) for troubleshooting.  I've run diagnostics on both NICs on the PC and they're working as designed.

1.3.1.44_10.1.23 on r7000p, just checked, it hasn't changed since I bought the unit 12/3.

cm400 modem.

gs105Ev2 layer 2 device

all netgear equipment.

the only thing new to the config has been the r7000p(replaced a 6300).

dropped internet doesn't happen when r7000p is removed from config, doesn't matter where in the config the wifi router is, tried all configs.

the period of time the connection is lost is seemingly always the same, @ 10 seconds.

I don't use the wifi, it's for my wife who uses a MAC( no nic).  She has not perceived or experienced any loss of service.

My PC has and will always be hard wired, I have no wireless card.

CS said to "ignore" the link down status. No can do. Well I might be able to if the thing didn't drop the internet.

Message 5 of 17
Ed94
Star

I had some Wifi issues tonight. Wasn't sure what the problem was, but while troubleshooting, I noticed this exact same LAN LINK DOWN problem. All 4 LAN ports show "Link Down", but they are all working just fine. I'm printing, sharing files, internet works, etc. WAN link shows 1000M/Full which is what I would expect the LAN ports to show too (1000 or 100). Not sure how long it has been like this. Possibly a long time because I haven't checked the SHOW STATISTICS window for many months. Nighthawk R7000P is my modem.

Message 6 of 17
JB411
Initiate

The latest firmware is what causes the port statistics to say they're down.  Netgear sent me a Beta firmware and the links are showing link up.

Wifi/LAN was dropping every two hours.  Turn on QOS to resolve.  May not make sense but it worked.

Netgear support leaves much to be desired.  These issues have been around for nearly a year.  The company may want to have someone in support READ THEIR OWN FORUMS.

Message 7 of 17
myersw
Master

Garbage firmware now and has been. 

Return if in return window and get a different vendor. 

Sorrry to say Netgear is not the quality vendor they used to be. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 17

Return if in return window and get a different vendor. 

Health warning to @JB411, that advice comes from someone who regularly boasts that they have no Netgear hardware on their network. They are, therefore, talking from incomplete knowledge, hanging around here mostly to bad mouth Netgear.

All you will get from them is generic advice, probably picked up from dealing with the same issues with alternative hardware makers. Sadly, most of these issues apply to all consumer brands.

Your call.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 17
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

ASadly, most of these issues apply to all consumer brands.

Your call.

And there you answer the reason to go to the next level, where I am. No issues, no wireless drops, no Internet drops, no reboots required, no reseting of router required. Things just work.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 10 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@myersw wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

ASadly, most of these issues apply to all consumer brands.

Your call.

And there you answer the reason to go to the next level, where I am. No issues, no wireless drops, no Internet drops, no reboots required, no reseting of router required. Things just work.

Really Bill? Works flawlessly for everyone? No one has a problem, just works?

Hmm....

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/bd-p/UniFi

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/bd-p/USG

Am I looking in the wrong place? Where should I look to see a forum with no problems?

Message 11 of 17
myersw
Master

@IrvSp 

Some of what you are seeing on the ubnt standard forums are fixed in the beta code, that I run. Beta area is not normally available to non beta testers. I did point out the other day in a post that the latest beta for the AP's had issues on the 2.4 wireless. Had to have advanced options enabled for the failure. 

So is Ubiquiti perfect, of course not! I do not have the issues with Ubiquiti Unifi products that I had with Netgear though. Have never had to do a reset, a reboot, or back rev firmware due to issues. The gateway (router) has been up for 62 days and that reboot was for a firmware update. Issues, like the 2.4 wireless, in the beta track are usually fixed in a week or less. Compare that to Netgear. Am sure the released track issues probably take longer as more testing would need to be done then with beta. 

Never have run into a coder, software or firmware, that wrote perfect code. I saw lots of examples of that when working for IBM and being a Program Support Rep to customers, debugging both their code and IBM's MVS OS. Had to know assembler as that is what MVS (Multiple Virtual Systems) was written in and debug output was in assembler. Saw still more when I was a Advisory Systems Engineer. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 17
JB411
Initiate

Michael, 

Mind your own business.

The truth is the problems exist and Netgear hasn't resolved them.  

I would've returned it and gotten another brand but it was past the 30 days.

And yes smartaleck, it's always my call. 

Message 13 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@myersw, however all you've done is prove that they are no different in terms of code release. They released code that either didn't work or broke something. Remember, I have an R8000 and although I do have 2 really minor easily circumvented, I had no such problems you said were enough to make you sell yours.

Beta tracks, speaking from experience, many times they will go to people who report a problem and that it is KNOWN to be fixed in that beta. However, depending on how it was 'built' it could have only that one fix, or you got an interim release that is know to have that fix, but could have all the old problems that are known in it and not fixed as well as some new 'problems'. That is why there are Beta releases, to make sure fixes that went into a build are truly fixed. If it was know to be good and without introducing other problems, especially for a major bug, it would be released as a HOTFIX normally. 

Again, the whole point I was trying to make is that other vendors have problems with code releases. You could 'argue' the severity, the length of time between fixes, and even the delivered code reliability, but my impression of other vendor forums, you have no proof one way or the other.

The bottom line, your experience and mine are just 2 out of how many thousands or more experiences of the same product. A minuscule sample, and you'd be foolish to imply your experience is the 'norm'. Even what you see here is not a complete indicator, although it does point to 'there is a problem', that is all one can draw from that with confidence, but no real measure how severe or wide spread.

Actually, the latest go-around with the R7000 since the .60 release is 'promising' to me. Why? Because it seems to have gotten some focus on the problems at hand. Quickly (in Netgear terms) caused a new release, and even DarrenM stated that fixes that went in it would soon transition to other router models (I assumed it was the Access Device list common problem). Just turns out that the release had its own set of problems and wasn't a complete wireless fix it seems. I bet that got some attention and hopefully will be released 'working' soon.

Message 14 of 17
myersw
Master

@IrvSp 

Back on track. Think we have beat the everyone has bugs to death. 😉

It would be nice if they got the firmware right as I owned a r7000 when they first came out. After a couple of bumps in the road, firmware wise, it was a very solid router. It has been around since 2013 I think. Long time the way tech moves, but still has its place and with good firmware performs well. Not sure how you take a really good product and break it so bad. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 15 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@myersw wrote:

Not sure how you take a really good product and break it so bad. 

Real easy, and I'm speaking from experience. When one 'inherits' code, one depends on two things. Correct documentation and CLEAR code comments. I once picked up a project with the existing WORKING code. Limited specification and documentation. Now 'fixing' bugs in the existing code was not hard. Reproduce the bug, use a debugger and figure out what went wrong and then update the code to correct the problem. Not so easy when 2 things were in the code. Once was it was for multiple 'releases' of the project. IF's were scattered about using PART NUMBERS as the controlling branch and 'features' specific to certain h/w. NO COMMENT what they were. Worse, DEAD CODE was never removed, it just sat there and never would be executed. Now when NEW FEATURES were to be added, it was a NIGHTMARE... where to put it, what would it break. A lot of research and code trials. Nothing trumps familiarity with the code... and new people do NOT have that. Add to that possible pressure to release, recipe for disaster.

Again, we know nothing about the internal structures and operating mode. Just hope it all works out.

Message 16 of 17
myersw
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

update the code to correct the problem. Not so easy when 2 things were in the code. Once was it was for multiple 'releases' of the project. IF's

Again, we know nothing about the internal structures and operating mode. Just hope it all works out.

@IrvSp 

How true. What you describe I ran into debugging IBM OS code. Fun time when not well documented and assembler coding. Add on to that a customer who cannot get their work done, now there is pressure. One time no loading of trucks at warehouse until fixed, or patched.

It seems possible, from what I read, that Netgear has farmed out the code so they are having to do exactly what you describe. 

Yes, hopefully it works out as Netgear used to be the premier vendor.  You know the old sayng I am sure "No one ever got fired buying IBM". Used to feel the same about Netgear.

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E