Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN to WAN Configuration

meldgr8t
Aspirant

LAN to WAN Configuration

Hi,

My situation is:
1. Vodafone HG659 modem/router (IP 192.168.1.1) that connects me to internet.
2. Netgear R8000 (located upstairs): IP 10.0.0.1.  All LAN ports on the back of it are connected to Netgear Stora (LAN1), WDMyCloud (LAN2), AC-Ryan (LAN3), PC (LAN4).
3.  Netgear R7000 (located downstairs) is in wireless bridged mode to R8000.  All LAN ports on the back of it are wired to:  Xbox360 (LAN1), Pioneer (LAN2), Media Player (LAN3), PC (LAN4).
4. WAN port on the back of R8000 is wired / connected to the LAN port on the back of Vodafone HG659.

The set up is excellent. I can connect (wired or wireless) to internet using either Vodafone HG659 or R8000.

My issue:
I want to connect my laptop using the available gigabit LAN ports on the back of the Vodafone HG659 to access and transfer files to the NASes connected to R8000. But it won't let me do it.  There must be an advanced configuration to be done to be able to do this.

Anyone out there willing to share their experties on this issue?  Thanks in advance!

Mel
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: LAN to WAN Configuration

@meldgr8t

1. Your home network will still be protected by the Vodafone router providing your 192.168.1.X subnet.
  2. @JamesGL has given you the instructions for enabling AP Mode.  Once you enable it, you will have to force all devices with 10.0.0.X addresses to obtain new IP addresses in the 192.168.1.X subnet.  You can do this by either rebooting them or forcing them to renew their DHCP lease. 

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If vodaphone is in bridge mode it won't work.

Message 2 of 15
TheEther
Guru

I see two options.

1. Enable AP Mode on the R8000.  This will disable the router/firewall/NAT functionality and remove the 10.0.0.0/24 subnet.  All devices will receive 192.168.1.X IP addresses from the Vodafone and should be able to communicate directly with each.
  2. Configure port forwarding on the R8000 to open the ports necessary for your laptop to communicate with your NAS.  If we're talking about Windows file sharing, then I believe ports 137, 138, 139, and 445 should be opened.

Unless you have a reason to firewall the devices behind your R8000, I recommend option 1.

Message 3 of 15
meldgr8t
Aspirant

1.  Either option will not impact on the performance of my current network setup?  Specifically, the R7000 which is in wireless bridged mode to R8000?

2.  Port forwarding on the R8000, I regularly copy/ transfer photos, music, videos from my laptop to the NAS.  If I use a different laptop, e.g., a friend's laptop, do I have to do port forwarding the same as I do on my laptop?

Message 4 of 15
TheEther
Guru

1. Ah, I forgot about your bridged R7000. I think it will still work. Is the Vodaphone too far away for the R7000 to bridge to it?
2. I believe the port forwarding setup on the R8000 doesn't have the option of restricting to a specific external address, so both laptops should work. They may not work simultaneously if they inadvertently use the same source port.
Message 5 of 15
meldgr8t
Aspirant

Are you able to walk me through the port forwarding set up on my R8000 to be able to do copy files from my laptop to the NAS, and vise versa?  Thanks.

Message 6 of 15
TheEther
Guru

1. Log into the R8000
  2. Go to ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup  
  3. Click +Add
  4. Select the entry for your NAS, then +Add.  This will insure that the IP address for your NAS doesn't change.  Make note of the IP address.  You will need it when setting up your port forwarding rules.
  5. Go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Port Forwarding
  6. Click +Add Custom Service
  7. Make up a name and enter it into Service Name (e.g. SMB Ports 1)
  8. Enter 137-139 for the external port range
  9. Enter the IP address for the NAS in the Internal IP address
  10. Click Apply
  11. Click +Add Custom Service again
  12. Make up another name and enter it into Service Name (e.b. SMB Ports 2)
  13. Enter 445 for the external port range
  14. Enter the IP address for the NAS in the Internal IP address
  15. Click Apply

Try to access the NAS from your laptop. I cannot guarantee that this will work.  There are two things that may fail.  First, Netbios name resolution may fail because the broadcasts may not make it through the R8000.  Second, I may have missed some ports to be forwarded.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 15
meldgr8t
Aspirant

Thanks for sharing this. I'll give it a go when I get home. 

In the meantime, I read something about 'static ip routing' as another option. Are you able to help me with this as well just in case port forwarding fails? Many thanks once again.

Message 8 of 15
TheEther
Guru

I can, but I don't see how static routes will work.

Message 9 of 15
meldgr8t
Aspirant

Hi TheEther,

Thanks for your help yesterday!  I did have a go on trying the options your recommended.  I couldn't get the port forwarding to work. However, the first option worked just perfectly fine (enable AP mode on R8000, all devices on the same network).  The thing I is I want to keep my two separate network (192.168.1.1 and 10.0.0.1), as they both work perfectly fine as well.

Here's the article I came across from searching, and it's very similar to what I want to achieve.  It's worked for others, but I can't get it to work on my own network.  You maybe able to pick up something that I maybe missing.  Kindly help.

"...If you want both subnets, then you will need to

1. Connect the N600 WAN port—not a LAN port—to a 7700N LAN port.
  2. Enable DHCP on the 7700N (because the N600 is connected via the WAN port, this DHCP server won’t be seen by devices on the N600, so you won't get a conflict).
  3. Add a static route to the 7700N saying that the 192.168.0.x network is accessible via the gateway at 192.168.1.115.
  4. Disable NAT on the N600.

If NAT is enabled on the N600 then the devices that are on 192.168.0.x will appear to come from 192.168.1.115 to devices on the 192.168.1.x network. Their address will be NATed to the address of the router. This will prevent you being able to access anything on 192.168.0.x from 192.168.1.x.  ..."

Message 10 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Why do you want to keep two separate networks?  Even the guy who wrote the article you cited recommended collapsing down to one network.

Anyway, I don't think you'll be able to pull this off with the R8000 because I don't see any way you can disable only NAT and keep the router enabled.

Message 11 of 15
meldgr8t
Aspirant

You are the expert, and if you think that the set up I want to achieve cannot be done on the R8000 then I'll explore no further.  Thanks for giving me the option and resolving my issue.  Keep up your good spirit and all the best for you.  I'll come around again some time.  Regards.

Message 12 of 15
meldgr8t
Aspirant

Hi TheEther,

Going back to your recommendations, I have a couple of considerations:

"I see two options.

1. Enable AP Mode on the R8000.  This will disable the router/firewall/NAT functionality and remove the 10.0.0.0/24 subnet.  All devices will receive 192.168.1.X IP addresses from the Vodafone and should be able to communicate directly with each.
  2. Configure port forwarding on the R8000 to open the ports necessary for your laptop to communicate with your NAS.  If we're talking about Windows file sharing, then I believe ports 137, 138, 139, and 445 should be opened.

Unless you have a reason to firewall the devices behind your R8000, I recommend option 1."

1.  Enable AP mode on the R8000.  This will disable the router/firewall/NAT functionality...  Kindly confirm that with this setup, my home network is still as secure as it was with my current setup (two separate network.  For your additional information, I turn off my R8000 network on most days, and only turn it on especially during weekends when everyone's around watching movies, listen to our music collections, etc).

2.  Kindly provide me with step-by-step guide on how you exactly implement your recommendation (option 1).  This way, I have every confidence that I have set up my home network exactly the way you recommended.

You are legend!  Thanks once again.

Message 13 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi meldgr8t,

Here is the KB article on how to setup AP mode of your router.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24104/~/how-do-i-change-my-nighthawk-router-to-ap-mode...

Message 14 of 15
TheEther
Guru

@meldgr8t

1. Your home network will still be protected by the Vodafone router providing your 192.168.1.X subnet.
  2. @JamesGL has given you the instructions for enabling AP Mode.  Once you enable it, you will have to force all devices with 10.0.0.X addresses to obtain new IP addresses in the 192.168.1.X subnet.  You can do this by either rebooting them or forcing them to renew their DHCP lease. 
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7