• 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Lag Spikes On Console Games

Hi,

I was experiencing sudden lag spikes on a previous Netgear router(WNDR3400v2) and assumed it was due to old age. I purchased this new model thinking that it would solve the issue, but I'm dealing with more of the same. (Although, its range and just about everything else is fantastic.) To the best of my knowledge, everything is up to date. One important note is that I have no issues whatsoever with a direct connection via my modem. Here are the consoles I use:

Xbox One

PlayStation 4 Pro

I've toggled UPnP and QoS to no avail and have also tried on both available wireless networks. My connection via the consoles appears to be great with low latency, high wireless strength, and good download/upload speeds. What else can I do here to try and get this fixed?

Thanks!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Lag Spikes On Console Games

Hi DefinitelyEric,

Are the consoles wirelessly connected to the router? If yes, try plugging it wired to the router.

Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi DefinitelyEric,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi JamesGL,

Unfortunately, a wired connection isn't an option. That would require a REALLY long Ethernet cable.
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Apprentice

curious, is your internet provider Comcast/ Time warner cable?

if so these companies are known for outputting pore internet signal that causes packet loss and lag spikes from time to time throughout the day. 

But if you are getting lag spikes through wifi are there several things blocking the signal? walls... stairs, doors? this could definetely be the issue. or maybe you are getting poor signal from the device ? Smiley Sad

im experiencing lag spikes but not from wifi, but from ethernet. and im sure it is my ISP because im using a top modem from netgear as well as top dollar router from them... 

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Apprentice

amazon also has very long ethernet cables FLAT ones even for around $11/ $15 . the REAL test would be to see if you get these lags spikes at all with a wired connection. play a couple days for a several hours and see if you still get these lag spikes. and also are you playing at peak hours? say like 6pm when everyone is home including surrounding people in your neighboorhood using the internet from the same service provider at peak hours? this might also contribute to lag spikes

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have Charter as my ISP and these lag spikes occur no matter what time of day it is. Recently, my PlayStation hasn't been getting the lag spikes. At this time, it's now just the Xbox. I'll look into the ethernet cable, but it'll be a trip hazard for sure.

Message 7 of 7