Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lan speed limited to 100mbps? R7500

Lan speed limited to 100mbps? R7500

I have a nighthawk R7500 AC2300 gigabit router and while troubleshooting something else I noticed that in the router Genie setup all four of the lan ports in use are showing 100mbps speed.  All of the computers in my network have gigabit NICs so should be capable of 1gbps speed across the network.  Instead when I transfer files I see a max speed of 10 megabytes per second (which I think is maybe 80 mega bits per second?).  I'd like to increase that network speed as I have many large files I'd like to move between computers.

Is there a setting within the router to increase the lan port speed to gigabit speed?  Or is there something else I need to look at in the network?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

The router ports are auto-sensing. The NIC drivers will often have a speed setting, so check there. Double check your Ethernet cables. They should be Cat5E or better. As a last resort, perform a factory reset of the router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The router ports are auto-sensing. The NIC drivers will often have a speed setting, so check there. Double check your Ethernet cables. They should be Cat5E or better. As a last resort, perform a factory reset of the router.
Message 2 of 4

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried to change the NIC "Speed and Duplex" setting from the default "Auto Negotiation" to "1.0Gbps Full Duplex".  Neither setting has any effect on the speed.  The cable is 50' Cat5e.  I'm very reluctant to do a factory reset on the router but I suppose it can be done if I have to.  

Message 3 of 4

It turns out the problem was the ethernet cable.  I had a cat5e cable on the computer, but replacing the cable with a new one brought the speed to 1gbps.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7