Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Laptop connection breaks network

digilos10
Aspirant

Laptop connection breaks network

Hello everyone, I have an RS400 Nighthawk router that I'm able to connect to a variety of smart devices and a couple of Mac laptops in my home, however when I connect my Windows 10 machine to the router, it immediately disrupts the connection on my Mac devices, and I keep getting the no internet errror.

When I connect directly to my modem Wi-Fi, then it works fine. 

If the netgear connection gets past the no internet phase, I'll end up having the connection drop repeatedly every few minutes.

As I mentioned ealirer, my Mac, Smart devices, and Android, and iOS devices are fine. 

I tried the 2.4ghz, 5ghz and then enabled smart connect and the issues are consistent.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Model: RS400|Nigthhawk AC2300 Cybersecurity WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Laptop connection breaks network

You've got a couple options.

1. Put the xfinity combo device in modem only/passthrough mode. it disables its routing functions and just leaves the netgear in control. it disables the wireless on the xfinity device. 

2. put the netgear in access point mode. It disables routing on the netgear and just leaves it as an access point. Wireless and wired can still be used. 

3. place the netgear in the xfinity's dmz. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

do you have the RS400 setup in access point mode or the "wireless modem" setup in modem only/passthrough mode? Probably not if the wifi is on. That would put you in a double nat if both are running in router mode.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

What firmware is on it? 

What modem are you using? 

Message 2 of 5
digilos10
Aspirant

Hello, thanks for the prompt reply.

I am using Firmware V1.5.0.34 and the RS400 router which is the Nighthawk AC2300

It looks like I have a Double NAT setup though becasue I have a Comcast router which has a Wi-Fi router, and my Netgear connects to that so I have a second network.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

You've got a couple options.

1. Put the xfinity combo device in modem only/passthrough mode. it disables its routing functions and just leaves the netgear in control. it disables the wireless on the xfinity device. 

2. put the netgear in access point mode. It disables routing on the netgear and just leaves it as an access point. Wireless and wired can still be used. 

3. place the netgear in the xfinity's dmz. 

Message 4 of 5
digilos10
Aspirant

Thanks for that information. Will work on implementing those steps.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7