Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Laptop connection issues

PoolBob
Aspirant

Laptop connection issues

I am hoping that someone has an answer to this, please speak in plain English as I am OLD and not a techie.

Recently my daughters HP laptop connects to the house wifi but states connected - no internet. I thought it may have been her wifi card in the laptop so replaced that, no change. If I use my cell phone to give the laptop a hotspot it connects to the internet without any issues. I have looked at my Nighthawk app but cannot even identify her laptop connected.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
Jeffgear
Luminary

Re: Laptop connection issues

If the HP laptop connects to your wifi and shows a good signal strength, then the laptop should be getting a valid private IP address from your router, something like 192.168.1.x. However your router should then be seeing the HP under its connected devices list. Given its not, then it sounds like a corrupt setting on the HP for the network configuration and it cannot establish an IP connection after its established the radio link too your wifi.

I had similar issues with an HP laptop and resolved it by resetting the network drivers and doing a full hard reset of the laptop. Incidentally, the hard wired ethernet connection worked fine on my laptop and it was just the wifi that couldn't reach the internet despite connecting to my router. So it was the network settings specific to the wifi module in the HP.

Here's HP's troubleshooting guide to follow: 

https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c02543015

Message 2 of 5
PoolBob
Aspirant

Thank you so much for that reply, I understand it all so thank you for that also. I have just downloaded and installed all new drivers and will do a hard reset on the operating system as well. Many thanks.

Message 3 of 5

@PoolBob wrote:

Recently my daughters HP laptop connects to the house wifi but states connected - no internet.

If this is a Windows PC, then it may be a local networking thing on the laptop.

Windows likes to protect people by blocking "suspicious" Internet connections. Have you tried running the network troubleshooter in Windows?

One thought is that you could tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

I'm told that this is rubbish advice. But it has worked for me and others in the same boat. You have nothing to lose.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a Netgear router product your connecting the laptop too? 

@PoolBob wrote:

I am hoping that someone has an answer to this, please speak in plain English as I am OLD and not a techie.

Recently my daughters HP laptop connects to the house wifi but states connected - no internet. I thought it may have been her wifi card in the laptop so replaced that, no change. If I use my cell phone to give the laptop a hotspot it connects to the internet without any issues. I have looked at my Nighthawk app but cannot even identify her laptop connected.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7