Large Ping Spikes over WiFi Nighthawk X4S AC2600

JoshJ
Aspirant

Large Ping Spikes over WiFi Nighthawk X4S AC2600

This is a problem I am only experiencing when using wifi, on either 2.4G or 5G and I can not figure it out. If I plug my Xbox into the router directly i do not have these issues, and my PC which is always hardwired never experiences these problems, so I don't think it's my ISP.

My ping will randomly skyrocket to upwards of 500 and slowly work it's way back down to something clean like 38, usually for like 10 seconds. Games like rocket league or rainbow six seige will notify me of packet loss, latency errors, high ping, etc. I have tried changing channels, messing with some settings, and I just can't seem to resolve it, and I am admittedly not too knowledgeable on what else I could do. Any tips would be greatly suggested please! 

I'm running the Nighthawk X4S AC2600 with V1.0.2.58 firmware. 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 5
ablatt
Apprentice

Re: Large Ping Spikes over WiFi Nighthawk X4S AC2600

Try firmware 1.0.2.52
Message 2 of 5
JoshJ
Aspirant

Yeah I just saw that post elsewhere, thank you, I am trying to figure out how to downgrade now. 

Message 3 of 5
JoshJ
Aspirant

The problem seems to be lessened, then ping doesn't go quiet as high and i don't lag as intensely, but the problem persists. Should I just continue going back to older firmwares?

I was able to play an entire match without lag the second time, where it happened every single match previously, so the issue is definitely mostly cleared up, any other tips to maybe hash out the rest of the lingering issue? 

Message 4 of 5
Darkminous
Aspirant

+1 got the same problem. I got a 150mb fibre connection and don't have problem since years with an old apple airport extrem 2011. I switch to the X4S for a better wifi speed which work: wifi speed increase from 25mb/s tout 120/mbs. But impossible to play overwatch with my PC (GTX 1070 / SSD/ 32go RAM) now. Never lag with the airport...
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E