Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest R7000 firmware update breaks router . Unable to do a reset

spopiela
Guide

Latest R7000 firmware update breaks router . Unable to do a reset

Did latest update this morning. Router did not complete update. I can’t do a reset . Appears to be bricked. Is there a way to get back to initial factory firmware?
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Message 2 of 13
spopiela
Guide

I'll give  it a try. Thanks

Further info. I used the Nighthawk app which indicated that an update was available. After a very long time, I checked the router light and there was no activity. Just a amber poer light with a few other light dimly lit. I'm very careful doing updates and have a UPS supply on the home network. Using the IOS Nighthawk App may not be the best approach to updating, since it is using the network at the time of update,

Message 3 of 13
microchip8
Master

don't use any apps/wifi to do firmware updates. use the Web UI using a wired computer http://192.168.1.1

Message 4 of 13

@microchip8 wrote:

use the Web UI using a wired computer

That's the way to do it.

Message 5 of 13
spopiela
Guide

I tred using the recommended approach to reload the firmware. The TFTP command returns an error message "can't read from local file" . I can ping the router so the setup seems to be OK. I checked the security and sharing and that seems to be OK. 

I then downloaded the tftp2.exe file and tried that and I get a different error message "Unable to get response from server". The application goes through its process three times. I can see the light for the ethernet port that the computer is connected flashing as the application continues. When finished, the power light on router is flashing. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 13

@spopiela wrote:

I tred using the recommended approach to reload the firmware. The TFTP command returns an error message "can't read from local file" . I can ping the router so the setup seems to be OK.

This can happen if the firmware is not where TFTP expects to find it. Check that the path is correct (see below).

I assume that you unpacked the firmware from the zip file.

@spopiela wrote:

I then downloaded the tftp2.exe file and tried that and I get a different error message "Unable to get response from server".

You should not need any external software if you have enabled TFTP on your device.

TFTP is not the easiest trick to perform. It might help to find one of those on-line videos that walks you through the process.

It might also help to try to put the router into recovery mode:

• Power off router.
  • Press and hold the reset button and power on the router.
  • Wait for the router to enter “Upgrade Mode”, about 15 seconds, and release the
    reset button. (The power LED become white and blinks steadily.)
  • The device should then be in tftp recovery mode.

Before you try TFTP, in command-line mode, change to the folder that contains the firmware.Then try TFTP.

Message 7 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] The TFTP command returns an error message "can't read from local
> file" . [...]

Where did you put the firmware image file?  Where are you?  What was
your actual "The TFTP command"?  Copy+paste is your friend.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1714564

Message 8 of 13
spopiela
Guide

I have unbricked the router. I was doing everything correct except that when I placed the router firmware file on the computer desktop and told the windows tftp executable to change to the desktop folder , it went to another desktop folder under Onedrive. The firmware file did not exist there and it gave me the error message of not being able to open the file. I only found the issue solution because the tftp2.exe routine that i also  tried was showing the file location that it was going to for the file. Under CMD you see very little. It keeps the IT people employed. Just jesting. 

Very interesting though, after I solved my router issue and set up all the settings, I ran into another problem. The router that I was fixing at home (R7000) was from another cottage location. I had to shut down my home router (R7800) to test the R7000 router. My home router would not boot up and get an IP address from Xfinity. I wasted 4 hours today on that problem and it's fixed. Thanks to everyone for their help  with the R7000 Router firmware problem!!

Stan

Message 9 of 13
spopiela
Guide

Oh! On the R7800 issue, always check if the issue is the modem or router. My router told me that it had no IP address from the modem. There was no resetting modem and router to correct this. After hours of many troubleshooting tries, I called Comcast( Xfinity) and a great technician connected me to a netgear tech. He asked me to connect the computer to the modem. We connected to Internet. I then reconnected to router and bingo was on the air on Internet. Where is the problem? I’m happy to have a way to fix my problem quickly. I think that there is an interface issue with the R7800 and my modem and/ or Xfinity. Life is too short to deal with this constantly. 

Thanks for for all your help. I saved a few bucks on an another router.

Message 10 of 13

@spopiela wrote:

Oh! On the R7800 issue, always check if the issue is the modem or router. My router told me that it had no IP address from the modem.

You don't say what the modem is, but as long as it is not a modem/router this sounds like that oldie but goodie. Booting things in the wrong order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 11 of 13

@spopiela wrote:

I only found the issue solution because the tftp2.exe routine that i also  tried was showing the file location that it was going to for the file. Under CMD you see very little.

This was explained earlier. (See above.)

There is an easy way to see if the firmware is available to TFTP. No need for an IT person.

At the CMD prompt, type DIR.

You will then see a list of what is in the active directory. If the firmware isn't there, it won't work without a bit of trickery.

It is useful, but not essential, to have the firmware in the working directory. You can include the directory in the tftp command.

If you are in CMD, just type tftp and it will show the commands that you can use and the possible modifiers.

So you can use something like:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put "E:\Downloads\Software\Netgear\[firmwarename]"

You may not need the quotes. They are only there to deal with any possible spaces in the path to the file.

Message 12 of 13
antinode
Guru

>       https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1714564

Note that the user in that (now closed) thread seemed to be trying to
send his firmware image file to his own computer (192.168.1.2) instead
of to his router (192.168.1.1), which would be enough to explain those
error messages:

> [...] tftp -i 192.168.1.2 put R8500-V1.0.2.130_1.0.99.chk
> Timeout occurred
> Connect request failed