Lightning strike the internet port of my Netgear AC3000 R7900P

Xiaowei
Aspirant

Lightning strike the internet port of my Netgear AC3000 R7900P

After a thunderstorm, my router stopped working. The WAN port just does not light up the indicator LED.

Except the internet/WAN port, the other local ethernet port seems still working since my computers can talk to each other.

Since I bought the router at the end of 2018 from Costco, its warranty expired. 

With some study over this community and googling, I found I am never the 1st one having a router striked by the lightning/current surge.

Here is a very interesting paper (https://incompliancemag.com/article/designing-ethernet-cable-ports-to-withstand-lightning-surges/) d...

To be curious, I opened my router, and found out almost exact same capacitor damage as shown in the lower left corner of Figure 1 (Joe Randolph's paper ). 

Actually besides the capacitor near the WAN port (yellow), there seems to be another capacitor damaged, as circled in the picture below:

unnamed.jpg

My question is that anyone knows what the capacitor is? If I know the value, I can find a replacement (Multilayer Ceramic Capacitor) in Amazon.

My 2nd question is that will a replacement of the capacitor simply make the router live again? From Joe's paper, this capacitor is nothing but just to filter out noise, which means its brokage should not affect internet connection.

Thanks for all the potential helps/replys.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Xiaowei
Aspirant

Re: Lightning strike the internet port of my Netgear AC3000 R7900P

Not sure why the image cannot be displayed. I edited and attached.

Message 2 of 6

@Xiaowei wrote:

Not sure why the image cannot be displayed.

That bit I can answer.

It takes time before images land. To ensure that you aren't posting anything naughty, a Netgear moderator has to approve the pictures.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 6
Xiaowei
Aspirant

thanks for the "naughty" examination Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Xiaowei
Aspirant

I am still struggling with the 2 bad capacitors replacement.

I don't have a capacitor measurement meter, neither do I have an iron to remove the MLCC (multi-layer ceramic capacitor).

However, I did measure the size of the  c222, c226, c230, c234 (stiked), c238 (striked), which are corresponding to 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port. The size is around 3mm X 1.3 mm. I don't know the height since I have not taken it off the PCB.

I guess the capacitor value of MLCC will be different based on the size. Thus the size is what I am going to look for a replacement.

The example capacitor/MLCC in Joe Randolph's paper is 1000pf, not sure what we have here.

Message 5 of 6
Xiaowei
Aspirant

After googling and checking in amazon, I found that the size of a MLCC can only indicate a type, not its capacity.

The size-matching MLCC seems to be 1206 SMD MLCC:

https://www.amazon.com/McIgIcM-16values20pcs-Electronic-Multiplayer-Capacitors/dp/B06XDHC93D

I guess I can assume it is 1nf or 1000pf for now.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E