Re: Limited 5GHz distance on R8000 (Poor signal strength)

pdgivens
Aspirant

Limited 5GHz distance on R8000 (Poor signal strength)

Hoping someone can offer some suggestions.  I have an R8000 router that has terrible 5GHz coverage.  the 2.4Ghz and the 5GHz-2 both have excellent coverage.  We tried just the router for awhile, then thought that adding an extender would help the 5GHz coverage, but to no avail.   have tried factory reset on the router to no avail.

Current setup

two story, wood frame house.

X6 R8000 located on top floor   (firmware 1.04.28_10.1.54)

EX7700 located on main floor

Dynamic QoS turned off

Smart connect turned on  (the 5GHz signal was poor even without using smart connect)

currently running 5Ghz on channel 44 but have tried all the channels without any signficant improvement

I suppose I could turn off Smart connect and assign the devices to the 5G-2 band, but I'd really like to figure out why the 5G band has such poor signal distance.  

Thanks for your insight.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to move the antennas around on the unit or place the router in another spot?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
pdgivens
Aspirant

Yes. I’ve moved the antennas into multiple different configurations.

Unfortunately can’t move the router, but I’ve experienced poor signal strength on the 5G-1 channel even in the same room.

Will most likely just go back to separate channel SSIDs and avoid the 5G-1 channel. Which defeats the benefits of the router, but at least it will be usable until they release a new one with circle built in
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E