Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Linking Old to New

Dewey3
Aspirant

Linking Old to New

Last year, I bought a R8000P to replace my R7000P because I thought the R7000P was starting to give 5G problems.  It turns out that it was a wireless extender that I was using that was causing the problems.  I ended up using the R7000P as a separate channel (11), separate SSID access point to the R8000P (1).  I did this so I could have my IOT devices (which includes 14 wireless cameras) use the R7000P while the home users use the R8000P to cut down on wireless congestion.  For maximum user performance, I have the R8000P in the center of the 3-floor house, and the IOT R7000P in the basement.  (None of my devices are experiencing connection problems from this arrangement).  I also plan to add an unmanaged switch for use with the IOT devices that are also in the basement.  Currently, the cable internet comes into our home in the basement, runs upstairs to the modem and R8000P, then back down to via Cat 6A basement to the R7000P access point.  My question is this... will I take a performance hit if I put the modem in the basement and have the cable internet go to the older R7000P first, then upstairs making the newer R8000P the wired access point?  Doing so will eliminate the trip for the cable to go upstairs first, then come right back down to the basement for the R7000P.  Asking the same thing in short, will linking the R8000P as an access point via Cat 6A to the older R7000P slow anything down going through the R8000P?  Thank you all.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router, R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Linking Old to New

It *shouldn't". 

there's always the chance of issues but It'd be worth trying. And if you save a backup configuration of both devices. it isn't hard to reset/reinstall if there are issues. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7