Re: Loading vpn to r8000

Danmatt
Aspirant

Loading vpn to r8000

How do I use my nighthawk x6 r8000 as a vpn client? Can anyone recommend a good YouTube tutorial on how to do this? Thanks.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Not supported with stock firmware.
Message 2 of 7
Danmatt
Aspirant

Next best solution/option?

Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

It depends on your requirements. Do you want to send all of your traffic over the VPN?

Most routers are not capable of handling very much VPN traffic, like 20 Mbps to 50 Mbps. So, depending on your needs, it may make more sense to run the VPN client directly on a PC or device.
Message 4 of 7
Danmatt
Aspirant

Yes was hoping to attach ipvanish to the router and cover my whole network in one hit. Is flashing a DD-WRT not an option? I thought I saw a tutorial suggesting this as a way of applying vpn. Although being a bit of a tec novices I'm hesitant going forward!

Message 5 of 7
TheEther
Guru

DD-WRT is an option. It is not the most intuitive firmware. Plus you will lose hardware acceleration. If you have a fast Internet connection (i.e. >500 Mbps), then this can be a big downside.

Tomato is another option that may support hardware acceleration.

As I already mentioned, running a VPN client on the router is pretty CPU intensive.

If you are not comfortable running third-party firmware, then I would be extremely careful. DD-WRT particularly requires a lot of research to find the right version to load. Sometimes, you have to load a starter version, then a final version. Do your research! Good luck.
Message 6 of 7
Danmatt
Aspirant

Yes lots more research to do. I'm deep into myopenrouter at mo. Apparently a spin off of Netgear although I don't understand how they finance add-WRT builds but don't support the same on there routers. Anyway thanks for all the help 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E