Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Log files and Outlook 2010 Junk Folder

JimJohnson
Aspirant

Log files and Outlook 2010 Junk Folder

The R8000 router sends log emails identifying itself as ROOT@R8000   Outlook 2010 is trapping this email in its junk filter.  It would be easy to simply add the email address to the safe senders list EXCEPT you cannot input an email address that doesn't end with at least a 'dot'  and preferably a top level domain like 'dot com'.

It would be a courtesy of Netgear in a future firmware to either add the ability to define the sender for log emails, or at a minimum, create a full qualified email address.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JimJohnson
Aspirant

I may have finally found the solution...

The From value is not just Root@R8000.  It is Root@R8000 on behalf of xxxx@yyyy.zzz - the end piece being the address the user put in the router's email setup  - - I am not sure if this is the authentication User Name or the Send To email address (in my case they are the same, which is why I don't know).

In Outlook 2010 I went into Junk Mail Options and put this fully qualified email address (that is, my own) into the Safe Senders list.  Outlook 2010 has stopped moving the emailed router log into the Junk Mail folder.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I get log emails every day at 8 am  they are received as if I sent them. Check your setup. I use outlook 2013

Ok I checked again and they do say root@r8000 on behalf of my email. I don't use the trap junk filter. I'll play around and see what happens.

Can't you make a rule to move it to any folder, I can in 2013. I don't have junk mail set up yet still playing with it.

Message 2 of 5
JimJohnson
Aspirant

I already have a rule to move this email - in fact ALL my emails are moved out of the Inbox via rules and sent to other folders.

All used to be well, but following the last MS update to the junk mail filter, the router logs got identified as potential junk. No problem, just tell Outlook that the ROOT@R8000 sender is legit .... however Outlook 2010 will only add fully qualified email addresses or domains to its safe sender list. And therefore I can't override the newest junk mail filter.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, you're correct, been playing with it and cannot make it work in 2013 either. I'll keep trying.

Message 4 of 5
JimJohnson
Aspirant

I may have finally found the solution...

The From value is not just Root@R8000.  It is Root@R8000 on behalf of xxxx@yyyy.zzz - the end piece being the address the user put in the router's email setup  - - I am not sure if this is the authentication User Name or the Send To email address (in my case they are the same, which is why I don't know).

In Outlook 2010 I went into Junk Mail Options and put this fully qualified email address (that is, my own) into the Safe Senders list.  Outlook 2010 has stopped moving the emailed router log into the Junk Mail folder.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7