Looking for a Netgear Router Recommendation

Jessie543e
Follower

Looking for a Netgear Router Recommendation

I'm looking for a router that will work for multiple devices being used for a large home that's easy to install that doesn't cost to much.
Message 1 of 7
microchip8
Master

Re: Looking for a Netgear Router Recommendation

The R7800 is the best bet right now

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 7

@microchip8 wrote:

The R7800 is the best bet right now

Certainly an excellent device. (I also have an R7000P that has caused me grief, albeit in beta testing.)  But I would also check the product pages and plug in my needs.

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

With luck the R7800 will fill the bill. But a lot depends on the layout of the large home and where the router has to sit.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 7
IrvSp
Master

Well, some more details might help here.

Other than what has already been asked, the answer can depend on specifics.

'Large' is not a number. Most residential routers will offer SSID transmission distances of 60 feet or more, up to even 150 feet. However the actual signal strength will vary due to 'what is in the way' and what SSID band you are on. The 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands differ in strenght at a specific distance. 2.4Ghz is basically able to go farther but the signal usually is lower than the 5Ghz at the same distance, again, depending on what is in the way. I'm talking walls and floors, the contruction of same, and anything in them.

"doesn't cost to much"? Meaning less. What might be expensive to you might not be to others. Still, depending on what you require, the cost could escalate. Suppose you have a single story ranch style house. Router would be at one end of the house and you need to go to the other end and another building 200 feet away. This might call for an Access Point as well as a router or a Mesh system. All those cost more.

Also the bands of the SSID's more depend on the device, and the device's capablilty to receive the signal. Older iPhones need to be closer to the signal than newer models. All due to the antennea situation.

Message 4 of 7

Then there are the neighbour's and their wifi signals.

Not to mention that structural materials. Any steel reinforced concrete in sight?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 7
myersw
Master

The r7800 which can run OEM, Voxel or DD-WRT is a good choice.  Do not even think about a r8000 or r8000p. Have one of each sitting on shelf collecting dust and not connected to anything. 

To me a even better choice is the Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin firmware, as it seems Netgear cannot get their firmware issues sorted out.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 7

Talk of alternative firmware is for anoraks, nerds and others willing to invest too much time time entering a world of wands, spells and witchcraft. (I write as someone who has done some of that stuff.)

The rest of us should stick with what comes out of the box and boldly go into new dimensions only when forced to.

If nothing else, sprinkling the pixie dust of hand-rolled firmware is a good way of killing off any support and warranty that comes from Netgear.

The choice is yours.

Just another user.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E