Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking to Upgrade Wi-Fi Router

sniemeier
Aspirant

Looking to Upgrade Wi-Fi Router

I have a NETGEAR CM500-100NAR DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with 16x4 Max Download speeds of 680Mbps.  Its hooked up to a Negear R6400 Wireless Router.  I have Comcast Performance Plus Internet  (up to 60 mbps)

My rancher style house is 2,400 square ft per floor.

I currently am experience quite a bit of wi-fi dropping.  I have about 12 devices hooked up wirelessly, (3 TV's, 2 cell phones, 3 tablets, 2 laptops, and a few other devices).  They are not all hooked up at once.

Do I have the right equipment?  Should I upgrade my Router?  If so, what do you recommend?  There are only 2 of us in the household.

I appreciate your recommendations.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Looking to Upgrade Wi-Fi Router

You have 2400sqft per floor? 

How many floors? 

What is the home made of? 

is the router centrally located or located on one side?

2400sq ft per floor is a large spread out home. I'm not sure if 1 router is going to cover that much area, especially if you're streaming. 

Message 2 of 7
sniemeier
Aspirant

2 Floors

Yes, 2,400  sq. ft. per floor

Modem and Router have to be on one end of the house, due to only cable connection available.

If I need a booster, what to buy?  I have an Amp Wireless Range Extender Model # SR 10000 that I have connected on the other end of the house, but it is inconsistent as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

Message 3 of 7
microchip8
Master

Your options: 

1) Get a normal router and use Access Points

2) If you can't pull cables, Powerline is a good alternative, though not as speedy

3) Get a Mesh system like an Orbi

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

You wouldn't want it on the other end of the house. 

It still needs a decent connection to run off. Usually its best in the middle but again, 2400sq ft is a large floor size. You have 4800 sqft total.

Even in the middle, it might be to far away but you can try it. Even the orbi AC systems usually recommend at least 2 satellites with that size home. 

Message 5 of 7
sniemeier
Aspirant

Do you think my Netgear R6400 Router is powerful enough if that is all I have for the house?  If I purchased a stronger range extender, would that be wise?  What brand/model range extender would you recommend?

Are the new Wi-Fi 6 routers out like the AX4300 that Costco carries be a better router for my house size?

I just don't want to buy something that won't improve my speed throughout the house.

Thanks again for your replies!

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

if you're only getting/paying for 60mbps from the isp, I'd look more at the triband orbi systems. 

I'd look for one with 2 satellites like the rbk43/53

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7