Re: Looking to update router

Donnyp05
Aspirant

Looking to update router

I currently am running a WNDR3700v3 for the past 4 years or so.

I recently upgraded my service to 400D/20U and my router is limiting itself to 100Mbit connection no matter what I try. Plus my cable is streamed over the internet and it constantly buffers and quits playing. Plus my 5g signal isn't very strong in my dining area.

I'm just going to upgrade my router at this point. I've come across a ton of different options and have no idea what route to go.

Budget isn't much of a concern, I'll spend more to get a better product.

R7000

R7000P

R8000

R8000P

R7800

etc

So many different models I have no idea what fits my needs.

Needs:

- Dependability. Dont want to have to reset it constantly. Plug it in and forget it for the most part

- Tons of wired and wireless devices attached to it. 3 phones, 4 ipads, printer, shield tv, smart tv's, rokus, smart home accessories, laptops, desktops, audio equipment, etc.

- Have decent coverage, my house is only about 1,200 sq ft. and I tucked my router away in a closet by the front door, centralish to the house

- Support third party firmware if I choose to go that route (DD-WRT or OpenWRT)

- Gaming

Can you guys offer any advice, or recommend a model for me? I had it narrowed down to the R8000 or R7000 but now I'm unsure. Also came across the Unifi Dream Machine?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router, R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router, WNDR3700v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9
microchip8
Master

Your current router is limiting itself to 100 Mbps because that's the max it supports. It does not have 1 Gbps ports.

I recommend getting the R7800 or XR500 if you're a gamer

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.86SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 2 of 9
minorgeek
Aspirant

rax120 or to trade off up to 20% horsepower for a third radio (some advantage in 30-40 wifi device range ) rax200. they just dropped price of rax200 from $600 to $500 and raised rac120 from $400 to $500. less 10% for the current promotion. amazon still has rax120 for $430, which I'd expect to come down more in coming months and tgiving black Friday . I'm waiting . these are both the new wifi6 with 12 spatial beams (8 beams, 4 concurrent users ) and 12 concurrent in mu-mimo frequency beams /sub-channels.
and try turning off the QoS to maybe speed your WiFi if your router can. for me R7000 increased TV 15' away from 40-80 Mbps to 400 on WiFi5 and 1Gbps feed and at 5' from 100 to 800 with WiFi5 max theoretical of 1.3Gbps. I think 100 Mbps ought to handle 4K tv well, but there could be interference or latency of sharing wifi causing buffer suffer. rax wifi6 should help. all-most? of netgear's pre wifi6 routers suffer a disastrous bug allowing remote takeover over your router, lan, and devices, just announced. netgear's known about it for 6 mo and has issued hotfixes for two routers so far. no date forcasted for rest. cf. theregister.com and netgear.com, click support on top, enter your router# or mine R7000.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router, RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 3 of 9
minorgeek
Aspirant

oh, do take your router out of the closet!
Message 4 of 9
Donnyp05
Aspirant

Appreciate all the advice so far. Not sure I want to spend $500 on a router though, thats a little steep. Around $300 is where I would like to stay.

My local Best Buy just got the R7000 in stock so I'm thinking of stopping there and picking it up as its fairly cheap. I can always upgrade later on.

My local Office Depot also has the R8000 for $200 though after router trade in.

Message 5 of 9

@Donnyp05 wrote:

My local Best Buy just got the R7000 in stock so I'm thinking of stopping there and picking it up as its fairly cheap. I can always upgrade later on.

A tried and tested router that meets most needs.

The R7800 is a bit more popular among the cognoscenti.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 9
Aqualung1
Luminary

Really not worth updating right now. Wait for WiFi 6E.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 7 of 9

@Aqualung1 wrote:

On that basis, no one would ever upgrade their technology.

For many purposes, and most internet services, the R7000 and R7800 or inexpensive and troublefree black boxes that do not deliver constant headaches, unlike the whole AX range.

You can have the fastest wifi clients on the planet, but if your Internet service bumps along at DSL speeds, you won't see much benefit

There is one issue in the message from @Donnyp05 is the number of wifi clients.

How many clients can you connect wirelessly to a NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Most of us can get by on 64 widgets, but people do turn up here from time to time with massive numbers of IoT gagets.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 9
Donnyp05
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Aqualung1 wrote:

On that basis, no one would ever upgrade their technology.

For many purposes, and most internet services, the R7000 and R7800 or inexpensive and troublefree black boxes that do not deliver constant headaches, unlike the whole AX range.

You can have the fastest wifi clients on the planet, but if your Internet service bumps along at DSL speeds, you won't see much benefit

There is one issue in the message from @Donnyp05 is the number of wifi clients.

How many clients can you connect wirelessly to a NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Most of us can get by on 64 widgets, but people do turn up here from time to time with massive numbers of IoT gagets.

I would have approximately 4 cell phones, 3 ipads, 1 roku, 1 macbook pro, 1 smart tv, 1 printer all these using Wifi. More when I get other family over to visit who use Wifi as well.

Wired clients would be: 1 shield tv, 1 roku, 1 smart tv, 1 yamaha receiver, 1 PC, 1 unraid server machine, 1 older fire tv, 1 apple tv, 1 PS4 pro.

Might be missing a few devices but that is most of them.

Currently looking at the R7000 as its back in stock at Best Buy now.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements