Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Losing wi-fi/Internet on Iphones

st3v3hall
Guide

Losing wi-fi/Internet on Iphones

I have 2 Nighthawk R6700v3 routers.  Router 1 is connected to my Metronet modem via the WAN port.  Router 2 is connected via the LAN port on Router 1 to the WAN port on Router 2.  Router 2 is set up as an Access Point.  Both are broadcasting the same 2.4 and 5G SSID's with the same password.  I can be sitting in a room with a laptop hardwire connected to Router 2 via a LAN cable, an Amazon Firestick connected to Router 2 (it's in the same room) via 2.4 wireless, and my Iphone will lose it's 5g connection.  When I turn off Wi-fi on my Iphone and try to reconnect I get a "no internet connection" message for both the 2.4 and 5G SSID's.  Going down to my basement and powering off and then back on Router 1 will solve the issue.  Any ideas what I need to do? 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Re: Losing wi-fi/Internet on Iphones

The R6700's aren't mesh routers. Devices won't roam like they would with a mesh system. They'll tend to be sticky and want to stay connected to the router they originally connected to. 

For this reason, i usually recommend people use a seperate ssid for them. That way you can manually switch when you want. 

Also, when one is ran as an access point, you need to make sure they're on different wireless channels or they'll interfere with each other. 

For example, put router 1 with 2.4ghz on channel 1 and a lower 5ghz channel. Put router 2 on channel 11 and the higher 5ghz channels. 

(I'd recommend doing a wireless scan to see whats best)

What moetronet modem is it? 

Message 2 of 18
st3v3hall
Guide

The metronet is an AdTran modem.   So should I run Router 2 as a router with DHCP disabled on it and it's own SSID's or can I leave as an AP set the channels to different channels and broadcast it's own SSIDs?

Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

@st3v3hall wrote:

The metronet is an AdTran modem.----model number? Just making sure you don't have a double nat issue.   So should I run Router 2 as a router with DHCP disabled on it and it's own SSID's or can I leave as an AP set the channels to different channels and broadcast it's own SSIDs?  Leave it as an AP but change the ssid and wireless channels. 

Message 4 of 18
st3v3hall
Guide

I don't see anything that says Model #.  I see SN:LBADTN17012648 and CLEI: BVMDT00DRTA or the P/N is 1287787F1  

Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

looks like this? 

https://www.pulsesupply.com/optical-network-terminals-onts/411-micro-gpon-1287787f1

I'd start with the channel/ssid change

Message 6 of 18
st3v3hall
Guide

that's it

Message 7 of 18
st3v3hall
Guide

I'll give the SSID and channel change a go and see if that solve it.  Thanks for the help

Message 8 of 18
st3v3hall
Guide

My Iphone lost connection again this morning.  I powered off/on Router #2 and that didn't help.  I then powered off/on Router #1 and it connected.  Should I replace Router #2 with an Extender?  Is there something compatible with the 6700v3?

Message 9 of 18
plemans
Guru

Have you tried swapping router 1 and router 2? maybe its only an issue of router 1. 

Message 10 of 18
st3v3hall
Guide

Would I need to factory reset Router #2 to take it off the AP mode?  Basically, should I factory reset them both and start over?

Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

@st3v3hall wrote:

Would I need to factory reset Router #2 to take it off the AP mode?  Basically, should I factory reset them both and start over?

You could reset and start over. 

Or before you unhook router 2, log into it and put it back in router mode. After that, then put router 1 in ap mode and swap them. 

Message 12 of 18
st3v3hall
Guide

will both routers keep their channel and SSID settings when I swap modes or do I need to reset those?

Message 13 of 18
plemans
Guru

If you don't reset them, it should keep the settings. you'll probably need to reboot the modem/gateway 

Message 14 of 18
st3v3hall
Guide

This might have worked.  one thing i notice is that the IP address on both routers is the same now and they are 10.0.0 addresses instead of 192.168.1 addresses..  Also, the laptop that is hardwired to Router 2 now shows Router 1 as it's network.  Does that all make sense?

Message 15 of 18
plemans
Guru

the 2nd router must have switched its ip address to the 10.0.0.* when placed back in router mode to avoid conflict with the first router while it was still in router mode. 

Message 16 of 18
st3v3hall
Guide

That's not an issue, right?  So far, I think this has solved the problem.  I'm wondering if just rebooting the modem was the answer...

Message 17 of 18
plemans
Guru

It shouldn't cause any issues. It just means you're devices are on the 10.0.0.* versus 192.168.1.*

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7