Highlighted
Guide

Lost Arlo functionality with R7000 firmware update to V1.0.7.2_1.1.93

I was using R7000 to control 4 Arlo cameras.. With upfate to firmware , lost Arlo control completely. Is Netgear managing these updates?

Message 1 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Lost Arlo functionality with R7000 firmware update to V1.0.7.2_1.1.93

Yes they are.

Message 2 of 22
Highlighted
Guru

Go back a page and check the stickies.  I use only the announced betas with Arlo support and won't install any other version until someone verifies Arlo capability.

Message 3 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same here, any solutions?

Message 4 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

If they being managed .,, why no comment in the associated note with an upgrade that explicitly states that doing update will eliminate arlo function. Do I need the firmware update for other reasons?
Message 5 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

I have no idea what you are talking about. Stickies? Am I supposed to know when to update my router or not? My router said that there was an update available. I updated it because it had to do with date and time. Nothing else was mentioned!!!! I have 4 unusable security cameras right now. I can spend but an hour a day on the internet doing all my activities. 

Message 6 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

Do we need the contents of this firmware if we have Arlo cameras? 

Message 7 of 22
Highlighted
Guru

@spopiela wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Stickies? Am I supposed to know when to update my router or not? My router said that there was an update available. I updated it because it had to do with date and time. Nothing else was mentioned!!!! I have 4 unusable security cameras right now. I can spend but an hour a day on the internet doing all my activities. 

Stickies = the posts at the top of this forum that don't change.  They're there for information.

SInce Netgear gave the R7k the Arlo capability and then pulled all the firmware back to 1.0.4x, it's been up to the users to monitor these forums to see when a new beta version with Arlo support is available.  It's not the best plan by any stretch of the imagination but that's the reality. Unfortunately, there's been little to no communication as to what releases have Arlo firmware - just release notes that say little.  That's why I don't update until I see something that explicitly says it has Arlo firmware.  I have done this for both the 1.0.5x and 1.0.7x production releases and folks here have been kind enough to verify the lack of Arlo.

Thus, monitor this forum for announcements specifically mentioning Arlo or you'll end up where you are now.  Your only solution at the moment is to download the 1.0.6.54 beta firmware noted in the sticky at the top of the Firmware forum.  You likely need to do a factory reset to make it work properly.  Until there's a production release, we're stuck with what we have.

Message 8 of 22
Highlighted
Apprentice

That would confirm my guess that 2 branches (with and without Arlo support) are separate.

See https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-Firmware-1-0-6-54-vs-1-0-5-70-bra...

Message 9 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

What a frickin' mess!! Thank you for the explanation. Life is too short to continuously spend analyzing Netgear firmware update announcements. I'm sure the Arlo developers and the R7000 developers stopped talking to each other long ago.
Message 10 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

I've decided to not follow a firmware path for the R7000 that includes the Arlo camera and the R7000. I really believe that the Netgear firmware developers are "sticking to the knitting" for their individual piece. If you integrate the two, the finger pointing begins and the development timeline gets extended. As soon as the functions were integrated way back when and issues surfaced a double firmware path emerged for the R7000 and the R7000 with Arlo. Not much has happened since then on the integrated path. I'll connect my cameras back to basestations and minimize my agony and get the latest firmware for each piece. Anyone have any idea what the benefits are for having them integrated? I cant find anything that tells me.

Message 11 of 22
Highlighted
Apprentice

Until now I have not see any communication from Netgear whether they want to keep the 2 versions (Arlo and no Arlo) separate.

But let's just say they would want to keep them separate.

1.0.5.x does not have Arlo support

1.0.6.x does have Arlo support

1.0.7.x does not have Arlo support (and contains a fix for NTP)

let's assume that 1.0.8.x would have Arlo support.  The risk would be that it would not have the NTP fix because it would be based on 1.0.6.x

In fact, until now the only version that has Arlo support is 1.0.6.x and this version does not have the NTP fix as far as I know.

Making 1 integrated version would make sure that the latest version always has all the fixes, regardless of Arlo support.

The risk is that Arlo support could break a version that would otherwise be working for people without those camera's.

Message 12 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

Unless there is an compatibility issue specifically with the R7000 router, you can keep two seperate firmware update paths and have both up to the latest version. The R7000 can work independent of the Arlo and vice versa. We must remember there are users that dont have an R7000 router and have the Arlo camera and use a base station. I just put my 4 cameras back on the base station. All is well. My R7000 router has the latest firmware with the time/date fix. Now I can pull in all the latest R7000 and Arlo updates. What does (Arlo plus R700) firmware in my R7000 buy me? What am I missing? Netgear , please help!

Message 13 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

I've been bitten by this as well with the V1.0.7.2_1.1.93 firmware update because I saw in the upgrade section on the router page that they had fixed Ntp. There was by the way no mention of this firmware update disabling my Arlo cameras.

Very disapointed.

This is not being handled as a serious production product!!!!

Message 14 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

I put my base station back on the air for my arlo cameras And will keep that configuration until someone can tell me why running the cameras directly off the R7000 is better. Both the router and all the Arlo cameras will constantly get the latest updates.
Message 15 of 22
Highlighted
Master

I don't know, but this is the link for the 'sticky' I see for the f/w...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Official-Firmware-Release-Version-1-0-...

In it:

===========

Released R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.7.2 unfortunatelly only stating is a bugfix release:

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the time and date sync issue with the NTP server.

Note: No Arlo support.

============

Message 16 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

Unfortunately, I pulled the switch when I checked for firmware updates through the router access page to firmware updates. No mention of Arlo at all on that page but did state that it Fixed NTP server... netgear needs to cover all router update access paths with complete message about firmware updates.

Message 17 of 22
Highlighted
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

I don't know, but this is the link for the 'sticky' I see for the f/w...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Official-Firmware-Release-Version-1-0-...

In it:

===========

Released R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.7.2 unfortunatelly only stating is a bugfix release:

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the time and date sync issue with the NTP server.

Note: No Arlo support.

============

Yeah, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Beta-Firmware-1-0-6-54/td-p/1100967/ju... is the proper one.  Unfortunately, it's up to users to determine which version is needed to keep Arlo alive.  

Message 18 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

i JUST got my R7000 delivered.  if they pulled arlo support, it's going right back in the box and right back to amazon.

Message 19 of 22
Highlighted
Guru

Time to send it back, then.  One of the moderators mentioned in another thread that Arlo support is not coming back.

Message 20 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Dear Netgear,

Over the passed 25 years of my IT experience, I have purchased literally a countless number of Netgear products.  I currently have at least 6 Netgar products in my house right now (just off the top of my head).  When I recently purchased the Arlo camera system, I was a tad disappointed that I couldn't store videos locally without manually downloading them to my phone or computer through the app.  I suggested that Netgear offer a license feature to allow the Arlo to store locally to, say, maybe one of my ReadyNAS, as a licensed feature I would GLADLY pay extra for.  I'm prettry sure that idea was ignored. 

When I read that the R7000 had built in Arlo support, I was very excited.  While my house isn't huge, it is concrete block (I live in hurricane country) and the Arlo cameras have some trouble transmitting through the house sometimes.  The thought of having a much higher power WIFI system that could communicate better with my Arlo cameras was VERY appealing.  That and consolidating some boxes in my smart box is NEVER a bad idea. 

Now, after purchasing an R7000, I read that the Arlo support has been removed from the router.  Not only that, but the firmware version that DID have Arlo capabilities is not longer available for download from Netgear (1.0.6.x).  I cannot express how disappointed I am in this decision.  I would suggest that Netgear offer the ability to enable Arlo base station on their routers via a license feature (a feature I'd pay for), but I'm sure that will be ignored as well.

Someone at Netgear doesn't seem to understand the value integrated products, and how that will generate MORE money.  I'm further disappointed to know that my ReadyNAS supports Apple TimeMachine (a NON Netgear company), but can't seem to get their act together amongst their own products. 

I still need a new router.  While I would have had room in the smarthouse cabinet for the R7000 if I removed the Arlo base station (my original plan), the R7000 footprint is just slightly too big to fit in the cabinet with all of my other smart house systems already crammed in there.  Because Netgear dropped Arlo from the R7000, I am left with no other choice but to drop the R7000, and moving forward, I most likely will drop Netgear since they do not seem to understand the value of product integration.

I will now step off my soapbox.

Message 21 of 22
Highlighted
Guide

I hear you. I truly believe this adventure turned into a misadventure. Arlo was a product in its infancy requiring significant follow up with customer related issues . Tthe r7000 might have been further ahead but also needed work. Netgear  probably thought that the group of customers with both a r7000 and Arlo system could be made to function with perfection and less hardware stations and also create a marketing advantage for them. Being an engineer, I know that bringing two product lines into one integrated product is a mess to manage. You have customers that have an r7000 and most that don't. Two different camps have to be satisfied with management and technical oversight. Only extensive schedule delay in the overall development process  results. Each camp is ready but the integrated product  needs testing before it is released. This causes further delays and issues. My bonus is in danger because of this crazy integrated idea! The introduction of the concept of firmware has allowed the release of products before their time. This also messes with integrated solutions. 

I too have been disappointed with the lack of an integrated product but have gone back to using the base station with the cameras. All is almost well. I still have some issues with the cameras but I am satisfied. 

I too step off my soapbox. 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements