Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost connection to R6800 AC1900

ogeff
Aspirant

Lost connection to R6800 AC1900

Dear all,

I have a problem with my R6800 AC1900, and the different connexion on it.

My computers and other device keep loosing internet from it, the device disappear, then comes again only if I plug it out and in.

This can happens at anytime but I saw it does at the second I start a download.

I have both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in two different access line.

My internet box doesn't crach and doesn't lose connection in the meantime.

My concerns are even greater because usually when I have a lost of connection (meaning I see the router disappearing) the computers will freeze seconds after (even had one time a blue screen).

I have no problem with my computers when connected to the box, or in ethernet, so I know it's coming from the router.

Some people had the same issue with different router from Netgear, and I tried the solution that worked for them but it doesn't seems to work for me, so... What should I do?

Best regards

Geoffroy

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
ogeff
Aspirant

Re: Lost connection to R6800 AC1900

So I followed your step for the reboot of the Router and AP but I had did it already, so no change in my connection.

When I say the 5Ghz Reset is:

before I click on it, it says that he has internet, once I click on it, for a second it says that he doesn't have internet, then it doesn't appear in my available wifi for about 20 sec (as well as the 2.4Ghz) and when it reappears it gets connected, I have internet for a few second then, losing connection to it and not appearing anymore.

BUT (and that's a huge update) I think I'm looking in the wrong direction, from what I saw on another forum it seems that the problem is coming from windows.

I launched a "Netsh wlan show wlanreport" command and so it seems that my USB for wifi adapter seems to fail to connect to it.

So I'm gonna work on this now.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

Message 2 of 10
ogeff
Aspirant

Dear Furry,

thanks for your answer, I reply only now because I tried the solution you provided without any success, unfortunately.

the firmware is V1.2.0.88_1.0.1 and say it's up-to-date

Service provider is Free (French one) the model is "freebox revolution"

I tried to update the fimrware of the netgear but it seems to be up to date, made a factory reset, unpluged the power cable (as well as the one of the freebox, after 30mn I plugged the cable (first freebox, waited for the full initialization, then Netgear).

From default everything is on automatic, I try to set the channels as you said but nothing change as well.

No neighbors (closest one is about 300feet away) I just have the 2 Netgear (2.4ghz and 5ghz) and the freebox in my panel.

I really don't know what to try...

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem have a built in router by chance? 

Do both wired and wireless loose connection? 
Does any of the NG routers LED change to amber or red when this happens? 

Message 4 of 10
ogeff
Aspirant

Yep, the freebox got one.

Only the wireless connection.

Unfortunately I'm not close to the Netgear when it happens (different floor), but I can check this tomorrow

Message 5 of 10

@ogeff wrote:

Service provider is Free (French one) the model is "freebox revolution"

That says not much about the hardware. (Try ""freebox revolution" in Google.) Makes and model numbers help. If it is also a router, you are in "double NAT" territory.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 10
ogeff
Aspirant

So it's a Freebox Revolution model F-GW06250A 1-TR

I set the Netgear as AP Mode, since then the 5Ghz is available but once I click on it, the netgear reset, then I connect to 5Ghz and after 20sec deconnection.

The 2.4 Ghz however is working... but really slowly, my freebox is 15m further and I still have a better connection on it '2mo/sec on the freebox, 50ko/sec on the 2.4Ghz which the signal is way better). But it doesn't seem to loose connection anymore (first step).

Message 7 of 10

@ogeff wrote:

So it's a Freebox Revolution model F-GW06250A 1-TR

A router. So, as suspected, you are in double-NAT territory.

You now need to work out how to get the two things to play nicely together. I'm guessing that your ISP is not help on that front.

When you made the AP switch did you follow th correct restart process?

• Turn off and unplug modem/router.
  • Turn off modem/router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem/router. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the AP and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

You may have to track down where the wifi issues happen.What you see may be two different wifi sources that confuse your wifi clients as they try to work out which is the best one to use.

If the R6800 is close to the modem/router, you could see if you can turn off the wifi on the modem/router and leave the R6800 to do the heavy lifting. If nmot, just abandon the R6800 and leave the new modem/router to do all the work.

I do not understand this bit:

... once I click on it, the netgear reset, then I connect to 5Ghz and after 20sec deconnection.

What does " netgear reset" mean?

Message 8 of 10
ogeff
Aspirant

So I followed your step for the reboot of the Router and AP but I had did it already, so no change in my connection.

When I say the 5Ghz Reset is:

before I click on it, it says that he has internet, once I click on it, for a second it says that he doesn't have internet, then it doesn't appear in my available wifi for about 20 sec (as well as the 2.4Ghz) and when it reappears it gets connected, I have internet for a few second then, losing connection to it and not appearing anymore.

BUT (and that's a huge update) I think I'm looking in the wrong direction, from what I saw on another forum it seems that the problem is coming from windows.

I launched a "Netsh wlan show wlanreport" command and so it seems that my USB for wifi adapter seems to fail to connect to it.

So I'm gonna work on this now.

Message 9 of 10
ogeff
Aspirant

Dear all,

So solutions done, problem was part router (which you helped fix) and part the antenna which the support from the antenna brand helped me with.

Thanks all!

Subject close, solution found.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7