Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lousy product

cpwlew
Aspirant

Lousy product

Had a Sprectum modem (and router) combined.  Wanted to do more on the internet so I got a new modem from Sprectum in January of 2021.  Needed a router so I acquired a Nighthawk router - X6S.  The router worked fine until 4/20/21 when it quit connecting to the internet.  

Called support & the woman (who I could barely understand) said that I acquired it in 2019.  She then said (on 04/20/21) that the so called router was registered on 12/31/2019 - even  though it was 2021.  She wanted to charge me over a $100 to fix the lousy piece of equipment I had.

Something should work for more than 3 months.  At least any quality product will.

This weekend, I will be shpping for a new router & guess what - it will not be anything from Netgear.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Lousy product

a couple things. 

1. many people google for supports number. If you did this, you more than likely didn't get netgear as there's a lot of scam sites out there. click on "mynetgear" at the top. from there you can register the product, contact support. New products do come with a 90 days free support from date of purchase. maybe it was a returned/refurbed prodcut but you can dispute the purchase date. 

2. this is the community support forum where members of the public try to help others out. If you want help, we're more than willing. But we do need details. Like what your current setup is (modem, router, etc), firmware on it, the full issue that its having, and what you've tried to fix it. 

Message 2 of 7

@plemans wrote:

1. many people google for supports number. If you did this, you more than likely didn't get netgear as there's a lot of scam sites out there. 

Netgear isn't the only victim of this sort of scam.

So, anyone buying a different brand should avoid making the same mistake.

It is a bit like the warnings from your bank. Don't trust anything you find on the Internet. Engage brain before dialling.

Message 3 of 7
wcalifas
Prodigy

did you try resetting your router that wasn't getting internet from the modem? You can do it by pressing the reset button with a paper clip for 30 seconds.

Message 4 of 7
cpwlew
Aspirant

I am using a mobile hotspot for internet connection until I can get a decent modem. I have to be careful as I only have 30 gig for the mobile hotspot.

I did not google for the suport number of netgear.  I got the number from the website & and  the manuel (which I had downloaded 3 months ago). 

The woman I talked to on the phone has English as the 3rd language.  It was hard  to understand her.  But I did understand that she was pushing the serices pland - 1 yr for $110 or so, 2 Yr for $200 or so.  She worked real hard at that all thru the contact.  Seemed like that was her main purpose. 

Like I said, I used this router since sometime in January.  I could have been over the 90 days or I may not have been over the 90 days.  In any event a new modem should last for more than 3 months if is it a quality product.  The last router was used for 4 years, with no problems, and it was a less expensve router & sadly I gave it away.  The one before that - I don't remember how long I used it.

As to the gentleman who suggested that I reset it, well I tried and it did not work.  

My advice is to avoid Netgear products.  Better to be safe than sorry.

Message 5 of 7
cpwlew
Aspirant

Thank you.  I tried that but it did not work.

Message 6 of 7

@cpwlew wrote:

I did not google for the suport number of netgear.  I got the number from the website & and  the manuel (which I had downloaded 3 months ago). 

Much to general annoyance, Netgear does not have a support number on a website. In a quick check of all the "X6S" manuals that I can find, none have support phone numbers.

If you want people to follow up that dud information, tell us what the number was, or provide some way that Netgear can confirm that you were not being conned. Sadly, that is the most likely conclusion.

@cpwlew wrote:

But I did understand that she was pushing the serices pland - 1 yr for $110 or so, 2 Yr for $200 or so. 

Those aren't the rates for Netgear's farmed out service.

GearHead Support

None of your numbers there.

You would do well to avoid giving anyone else your credit card details. The crooks are on your case.

We still don't know what device you own. Nighthawk X6S could be one of several routers or range extenders.

To get help to fix your problem you need to provide clear details of what device you have and what you are doing.

You do seem to be in a pickle. But, in the light of the above, blaming it all on Netgear does seem to be a stretch.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7