Low Speeds - Nighthawk R7960P

Jrooker
Aspirant

Low Speeds - Nighthawk R7960P

I purchased the Nighthawk X6S R7960P about six months ago and it worked great in my old apartment with a download speed of 120mbps. I just purchased a house that allowed me to get comcast 1000mbps download. Now when I run a speed test connected to the router, I get around 80-90mbps. My 5G wifi is the same if not worse. I have Cat6 cables running to everything and connected directly to my modem, i receive around 700mbps download.

any suggestion on why my speed is low or if there are settings i need to change?

I also did a reset on my modem as well when I moved.

-Installed Firmware Version: V1.4.1.44_1.3.5 (wont except the latest version)

-Cable Modem: Arris SB8200

-Speed test was done at speedtest.net, xfinity speed test and in the QoS Setting on the router with simialar results.

-I do not see any of my neighbors wireless signals

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
louisrdev
Tutor

Re: Low Speeds - Nighthawk R7960P

I have the same problem on my X6 R8000, firmware version V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

When I connect my PC with cable directly to my modem I get around 950 mbps, but running from my modem to the router and then to my PC (also wired), I only get around 350 mbps. When I run the speedtest on the router QoS config, it also only shows around 350 mbps.

And just to make it clear, there was no wifi involved with any of this. It's all wired connections. With the router between my modem and PC, it's much slower than connecting my PC directly to modem.

All QoS settings are disabled, armore is disabled and parental controls are disabled. I've tried factory resetting the router multiple time, makes no difference. I've read elsewhere it might be related to the new firmware, and that going back to 1.0.4.2 or 1.0.3.54 should resolve it, but the router does not allow me to install these firmware versions.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

1. What error is the firmware update giving you? And how are you attempting it? I'd recommend doing it over a hardwired connection and going through the browser (not the app)

2. When you changed service providers/speeds, did you factory reset the router and manually re-install the router? 

3. What modem are you using? 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@louisrdev the R8000 and R7960P are 2 differnet routers. Please start your own thread so we can address your problems. not jumping on this thread 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 4 of 6
Jrooker
Aspirant

1. I will run the update and it will run through the whole process of updating and then restarts the Nighthawk router. Once restarted, it still says the same firmaware version as

before and there is still a dialog box that says update available.

2. Yes, I pressed the reset button on the back of the Nighthawk router and ran through the processes of setting it up again. Is their a different reset I am suppose to do?

3. I am Using a Arris SB8200 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem.

Message 5 of 6
OldTechie66
Aspirant

Also Nighthawk R7960P - upgraded on Xfinity from 300 mbps to 1000 mbps, but could not get speed - tested using speedtest.net and speedtest.xfinity.  Xfinity tech verified gig speed (around 900) out of modem (CM1100), but still couldn't not get above 360 mbps via ethernet Cat 5e and Cat 6.  Reviewed all settings in both modem and router, and changed the following - Modem - disabled Ethernet Port Aggregation (Advanced/Advanced Setup) and confirmed cable was plugged into port 1.  Router - disabled Traffic Meter (Advanced/Advanced Setup/Traffic Meter - uncheck Enable Traffic Meter, then Apply), disable Ethernet Port Aggregation (Advanced/Advanced Setup/Ethernet Port Aggergation disable, then Apply).  Closed and re-opened browser and speed was now 800 - 900 ethernet.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E