Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Low Speeds - Nighthawk R8000

louisrdev
Tutor

Low Speeds - Nighthawk R8000

I have a problem on my X6 R8000, firmware version V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

When I connect my PC with cable directly to my modem I get around 950 mbps, but running from my modem to the router and then to my PC (also wired), I only get around 350 mbps. When I run the speedtest on the router QoS config, it also only shows around 350 mbps.

And just to make it clear, there was no wifi involved with any of this. It's all wired connections. With the router between my modem and PC, it's much slower than connecting my PC directly to modem.

All QoS settings are disabled, armore is disabled and parental controls are disabled. I've tried factory resetting the router multiple time, makes no difference. I've read elsewhere it might be related to the new firmware, and that going back to 1.0.4.2 or 1.0.3.54 should resolve it, but the router does not allow me to install these firmware versions.

**I've been able to roll back to firmware version V1.0.4.12_10.1.46, with this firmware the speed goes up to around 500mbps consistently, which is still only half of what I should be seeing. Any firmware versions older than this, the upgrade just says "The firmware is not compatiable with your router. Error code -1."

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Low Speeds - Nighthawk R8000

What modem are you connected to? 

What website are you testing on? I've found many can't saturate gigabit or will use the wrong server during testing. 

If you've enabled qos, start with a factory refresh because i've heard of people's qos settings getting retained. 

Also, make sure traffic monitoring, access control, parental controls, armor are are disabled after the reset. 

Firmware version 1.0.4.28 was a pretty solid firmware version. 

I'd try installing that version, factory reset, manually re-install (not from a backup configuration). 

leave it as factory install as possible for initial. Just setup your wireless and whatever you need to do to access internet. (detail what you changed)

And then try multiple test sites.

I'd try:

Fast.com

speedtest.com (try different servers)

speedtest.xfinity.com

dslreports.com

Also, test your modem. directly connect to the modem and reports speeds. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What website are you testing on? I've found many can't saturate gigabit or will use the wrong server during testing. 

If you've enabled qos, start with a factory refresh because i've heard of people's qos settings getting retained. 

Also, make sure traffic monitoring, access control, parental controls, armor are are disabled after the reset. 

I'd try installing that version, factory reset, manually re-install (not from a backup configuration). 

leave it as factory install as possible for initial. Just setup your wireless and whatever you need to do to access internet. (detail what you changed)

I'd try:

Fast.com

speedtest.com (try different servers)

speedtest.xfinity.com

dslreports.com

Also, test your modem. directly connect to the modem and reports speeds. 

Message 2 of 4
louisrdev
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

The modem is Bell branded fibre modem supplied by the ISP (Bell in Canada)

I've tried different ones, fast.com, speedtest.net, dslreports and a google one that comes up when you search for speed test, the best results was always through speedtest.net, to my local ISP hosted server, the others show much lower speeds.

I've never had any QoS enabled, but did a factory reset anyways

Same as above, never had any of these enabled, but did factory reset anyways every time I tried different firmware

This with a factory reset seems to have solved it for me, my speed from the router is now comparable to directly connecting to the modem.

It's hard to get exact numbers, as none of the speed tests I've tried gives me consistent 1gbps throughput, regardless of whether through the router, or directly connected to the modem. But with other firmware versions I tried, the router would only ever give throughput between 350mbps and 500mbps, with this firmware I am consistently getting around 800 - 900 mbps. After a couple of tests seems to be about 5 -10 % slower than what I get when directly connected to the modem, but it's hard to really tell,

Thanks for the hint to use 1.0.4.28 @plemans , see my answers above to your questions. But that firmware versions seems to have done the trick for me.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it!
I've got gigabit as well and I don't think I've found a site that consistently can max out the connection. Sometimes i'll hit full speeds, others its the some 800-900mbps.
the closest I've found is either dslreports.com or my isp's test site speedtest.xfinity.com. surprise the ISP's would max it out 🙂
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7