Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MD5-Signed Certificate Warning with OpenVPN on iOS

tonyGaspro
Guide

So when will that be? Previous communication said "before April 30th" and it is now May 4th.

I paid for a product that had a valid, secure VPN solution, and now it doesn't.

Who can I contact at Netgear for a refund/replacement for a model that has a secure VPN function?

Thank you in advance.

Message 76 of 109
jcw265
Tutor

So is it Netgears superior wisdom to decide what model gets the VPN fix o ver other customers with different models. Man it’s time for a BBB report on this total customer neglect. So when will u allow the owners of the R7800 to get the VPN access your product states it supports. You only hot fix one model. Wow. Sorry excuse for a so called main line company. Supply the fix for all the models you broke from your neglect. Might make a nice class Action suit actually.
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 77 of 109
tonyGaspro
Guide

I may just take mine back to Costco, state the reason why (that it now doesn't perform per the specifications listed on the package) and replace with with another router.

I am sure they (Costco) would like a word with Netgear why they are selling a product that has fraudulent specifications listed on the packaging.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 78 of 109
Mulvers
Initiate

I’ve had to download an old version of OpenVPN for this to continue working. Putting me and my data at risk. Think I like others are going to return the router claiming it’s faulty and buy another brand.

when is this going to be fixed? All those promised dates have been and (long) gone

Message 79 of 109
whataboutbob
Aspirant

I just upgraded R6900 firmware to V1.0.1.46_10.0.29, does this include the openVPN fix? It doesn't appear to.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 80 of 109
JZDallas
Aspirant

Wow, some people here are just whinning to much. Netgear support said that they are working on a fix. It is in Beta testing right now. I assume you would want a fix that is working and does not have bugs in it. Also, it was stated earlier that the date OpenVPN was saying is not a hard date. It was a soft date. You can still use the app and connect to your home router. As for the person that said he would be taking his back to Costo, and buying a Cisco one. I did a Cisco router, and the first chance it was hit with a surge, the router died. It was connected to a surge protector, and when I bought the Netgear and still was hit, the Netgear router still turned back on and is still kicking. 

So I would say, that I have Netgear's back. If you don't like the product, just take it back and get your money or go somewhere else. Also, the person that said that only one router is updated with the fix and what about the little people with other routers, I have a Nighthawk R8500 and I don't have the fix yet. But I am not complaining......

Message 81 of 109
tonyGaspro
Guide

Sounds like you just don't take security as seriously as others, which is fine. Some folks really won't lose anything in the event of a data breach, or don't really care. Sounds like that may be you.

But when you buy a device for its security features, and the vendor refuses to implement a fix on time to responding to things such as expring security certificates it's a serious problem.

Message 82 of 109
jcw265
Tutor

news flash: never post just to see your post on a forum. Your lack of information may confuse users that have true product issues. Here are some facts you may want to verify on your own since you are surely highly educated (not)

1) The VPN issue was announced months in advance from OpenVPN.Most if not all Netgear routers using that solution are no longer providing VPN. This was a hard date and netgear knew about it.

2) People are not whinning on this forum they are expressing a total lack of customer service to the end user from Netgear that states VPN services exist through OpenVPN

3) There are business that no longer have the encryption layer they need for security promised from netgear

4) Routers are used for more then gaming in your moms basement

5) Before you attack a group of users get your facts straight.

Message 83 of 109
tonyGaspro
Guide

Message 84 of 109
Jovial_Jack
Aspirant

I flashed R7000-V1.0.9.30_10.2.33_beta to make use of the VPN again.  All else had been flawless for a couple years foregoing the use of OpenVPN these past months.  LAN functions are corrupting since flashing the new firmware.

After flashing the new firmware I successfully connected a VPN client to the router yet hadn't tasked any data transfers.  First thing I noticed was some LAN connections were only passing internet traffic at a little more than 11mbps on a 300mpbs connection.  The same PCs would pass WLAN traffic via the router at full throughput (300mbps).  Disabling VPN function nor rebooting the router didn't correct the problem.  Only when the unit was hard reset (R7000-V1.0.9.30_10.2.33_beta remains on the router) did it start correctly passing LAN to WAN traffic again at full throughput.

Hoping that my not hard resetting the unit before flashing the latest firmware was the crux of the problem, I started pushing traffic over the VPN.  I succesfully pushed 70GB over the VPN in the past 24 hours until LAN connections were again being corrupted.  This time they were no longer passing ANY internet traffic.  The DHCP server wouldn't renew any LAN IP addresses.  WLAN connections pass internet traffic fine and can ping the gateway, yet even the WLAN connections couldn't reach the gateway GUI at 192.168.1.1.

Rebooting the router restored all functions for the moment.

What a disappointment.  Netgear has known about this security and loss of VPN function issue since Nov 7, 2017.   Instead of Netgear beta testing from November/December onwards, Netgear has released this BETA firmware at the last moment of the OpenVPN deadline.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 85 of 109
whataboutbob
Aspirant

When does the one for R6900 come out?

Message 87 of 109
martijn76
Aspirant

Am I correct to see that R7800 now has new firmware that supports OpenVPN SHA256 cert?

https://kb.netgear.com/000058809/R7800-Firmware-Version-1-0-2-52

Message 88 of 109
McFast
Aspirant

Also there is new firmware for r8500 with openvpn fix 1.0.2.122
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 89 of 109
JamesGL
Master

Hi martijn76 and McFast,

Yes, those are firmwares with SHA256 cert for the respective models.

Hi whataboutbob,

We will update you for new firmware.

Message 90 of 109

Hi!

Please also update firmware for R6700

Thanks!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 91 of 109
tonyGaspro
Guide

Any word on the R7900?

Message 93 of 109
zhazell
Initiate

How about the R7500v2? It's a nighthawk but no one seems to have mentioned it. It also supports OpenVPN server and is lacking the new certificate. 

Message 94 of 109
KHDHD
Aspirant

If I install the new firmware to address the MD5 issue, will I lose all of the saved DHCP reservations on my network and have to re-do all of those, or do they survive the upgrade process?  How about the MAC address level content filtering settings?

Also, does the new firmware install erase and (avoid re-infection) of the stage 1 (the part that survives reboots) of the VPNFilter malware?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 95 of 109
jg121234
Tutor

@zhazell wrote:

How about the R7500v2? It's a nighthawk but no one seems to have mentioned it. It also supports OpenVPN server and is lacking the new certificate. 

R6700v2 is also missing the new firmware.  Please provide new firmware to support OpenVPN SHA256 certificates on R6700v2.

Message 96 of 109
shamarin
Virtuoso

No, all you settings will be saved. It just an update.

Message 97 of 109
jg121234
Tutor

R6700v2

Hi!

Please also update firmware for R6700v2

Thanks!

Message 98 of 109
jg121234
Tutor

R6700v1 OpenVPN fix firmware released

Looks like Netgear released a firmware fix for the R6700v1.  Here is the link for anyone needing it.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059128/R6700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-48

Please release one for the R6700v2 next...

Message 99 of 109

Re: R6700v1 OpenVPN fix firmware released

Hi jg121234 -

Yes, thanks for the post.  I believe I saw the update available for R6700 over the past weekend when I was checking for updates in the Setup | Advanced.  Will be updating soon and will post how it works.

Thanks!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 100 of 109
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7