Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK63S Blocked sites and applications

tchrisman
Aspirant

MK63S Blocked sites and applications

Purchased a MK63S Router (MR60) and two satellites (MS60). Having problems with sites being blocked, or being unresponsive and apps on smart tvs not allowed to pass traffic, or limited traffic. Also looking for a more granular way to control this router. Firmware version is 1.1.6.122, was 1.0.6.116. Both versions produce the same results. If I buypass the router, no problems connecting to sites and services.

Message 1 of 8

Re: MK63S Blocked sites and applications

@tchrisman wrote:

If I buypass the router, no problems connecting to sites and services.

What router is that? The MR60 or something else in front of it?

While many issues are generic and can be dealt with anywhere, in this case you are asking about things that are specific to your Mesh  hardware rather than the Nighthawk WiFi Routers covered in this section.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Mesh System - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 8
tchrisman
Aspirant

Thanks. I have looked around but I will try again. I appreciate your help.

Message 3 of 8

You did not answer my question.

What router is that? The MR60 or something else in front of it?

It may be important.

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is the MR60 connected to? 

Have you tried using a different dns provider? you could try googles at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

If you change DNS providers and are using IPv6, make sure to change the ipv6 dns provider as well. 

Message 5 of 8
tchrisman
Aspirant

MR60 with two MS60 Sats

Message 6 of 8
tchrisman
Aspirant

MR60 Router: DSL is an Arris NVG448BQ. Tried all sorts of DNS changes. With and without IPV6. Reset the MR60 and ran with default values, even turned off almost everything I could turn off. Only thing that appears to work is bypass the router and connect to the DSL or use the older Netgear router I was using before.

One weird thing that I noticed was the err_connection_refused, err_connection_reset or err_failed. The problem seems to fail at most times but every now and then, it will allow my computer to connect to Walmart's site. I have tested with 6 different web browsers.

Thanks

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

That arris is a modem/router combo devices and causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7