× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

MR6500 Speed Slow When Connected via Ethernet

DBM1
Follower

MR6500 Speed Slow When Connected via Ethernet

I have a MR6500 in ethernet mode connected to my LAN router.  I have the battery taken out, which is required to deactivate WiFi and activate ethernet mode, which seems to be working fine.  Expect the download and upload speeds, are slower when I am in ethernet mode.  When I leave the battery in and the WiFi is on and the ethernet cable is still connected to my router.  The download and upload speeds are 10Xs faster.  I am connected to my LAN router in both cases, not the MAR6500.  We don't have great internet service where I am at and I need a router to connect my cameras & security system.

So you might be asking, so if I am getting 10Xs the download speed and upload with the ethernet still connected and WiFi on, why don't I just stick with that?  Well I did and my ethernet connection was either going to sleep or some sort of conflict that was dropping the ethernet connection on the router after a day or so.  The only way I could fix it was to unplug the ethernet cable and plug it back into the router and then it would start working again.  I was told by a support rep that I shouldn't have my WiFi on if I am using the ethernet port.  They stated that was why I my ethernet connection was dropping.  

Message 1 of 3
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: MR6500 Speed Slow When Connected via Ethernet

Hi DBM1, 

Are you still experiencing this?
Please provide the device SKU (e.g. MR6500-1A1NAS). 
What is the model number of your WiFi router? 
Did you setup the MR6500 into IP Passthrough mode? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Re: MR6500 Speed Slow When Connected via Ethernet

Please capture a model.json file and send PM to me.

- Logon to the webui (http://192.168.1.1 ) as an administrator
- Navigate to URL http://192.168.1.1/model.json via the same browser window
- Capture the results (by selecting all + copy) and send it back

Also provide the router brand and model. We will check whether we can reproduce.

Thanks

John

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7