MULTI Nighthawk-R8500 Network

Potise
Tutor

MULTI Nighthawk-R8500 Network

I originally work out very long and document post but because of the site allows one to write a post before login...Well needless to say the login page lost my post -- NETGEAR needs to fix their web site.

Now that is said--

I Bought a second Nighthawk R8500(in less than a week) to replace my primary Linksys WRT1900 AC at home. I wanted to use the built in port aggregation (itunes streaming server in my home). (INFO on me - I setup industrial Ethernet network as my job) Well after lengthy testing with my cisco switch two Nighthawks cannot be directly connected to each other. I have the units bridged between a cisco switch to work. So buyer beware.

Message 1 of 6
mondenath
Prodigy

Re: MULTI Nighthawk-R8500 Network

I dont agree. But i have tried 2 different router's if they are setup in different subnet yes they can talk to each other. Provided who is primary. You cant have both primary and have dhcp enabled. In that two primary or extension which can be said then switch has to be in the medium.

With that said i was able to do media server share accross my connected devices. So i had to rename the router name for the client to see.

With your scenario. I dont agree port aggregation can be done between these 2 . i dont know if that is the need. Itunes server may not need more than 1gb/s if you want then have the storage seperated between 2.

Hope other expection would work.

Message 2 of 6
TheEther
Guru

@Potise

Were you trying to connect both Nighthawk's to each other using link aggregation?  I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Even so, it should still be possible to connect them via non-aggregated Ethernet.  Like mondenath suggested, you need to disable the DHCP server on one of the Nighthawks.

Message 3 of 6
Potise
Tutor

They are two of the same routers with no dhcp now but the same subnet. iTunes server on one switch and wireless all around with 9 streaming devices. That was why I was trying the port aggregation. So diffent sub nets are problem
Message 4 of 6
mondenath
Prodigy

even 9 devices are there itunes server what kind of file are your using for streaming musiic/video/movies Which files types.

A single r8.5k can handle atleast 25 devices. I dont think so 1gb is overun if all 9 devices started streaming. As these are wireless clients and not wired . No way they can consume all the bandwidth.

Router will be busy serving than lan port will be overrun.

Message 5 of 6
Potise
Tutor

Missing the point about Ethernet port aggregation was my original post. I am not over running the switch even though I'm streaming hi DEF movies. I was trying to use a feature of the device and could not get to work with a matching device to device.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements