Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mac OS - R7000 Nighthawk - System/DNS Server does not 'hold' the router address

TroyK
Aspirant

Mac OS - R7000 Nighthawk - System/DNS Server does not 'hold' the router address

Mac OS 12.4

I did my first post to this forum earlier today and got such excellent help. thanx

Thought I would throw up another that has been bothering me for awhile.

-

Our service providers DNS Servers are unreliable.

A very knowledgeable friend of mine suggested I use googles DNS numbers of:

8.8.8.8 and

I did a little research and it seems this is used by numerous folks.

So in my R7000 Nighthawk router with V1.0.11.134_10.2.119 software.

Under basic/internet I have designated those DNS numbers to use. (see screenshot)

In my system prefs/network/advanced/DNS/DNS Servers - when I delete the provider, provided DNS numbers, I see my router ip show us as it should, 10.0.2.1. I then click OK, But when I click apply, 9 out of 10 times, the router IP disappears, and the provider provided numbers re-appear. 

- I did a bit of learning about clearing the DNS cache, and I have done that numerous times, usually to no avail.

- When the router number does hold, and we're using the google dns numbers, our internet is very stable. - When I have to use the provider DNS, it can be unstable.

All this just to ask if anyone has any experience/feedback about this.

BTW- I am not the strongest computer guy, but I know enough to get in trouble. 😃

I appreciate the forum, thanx

Troy

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Psychbum
Star

Re: Mac OS - R7000 Nighthawk - System/DNS Server does not 'hold' the router address

The devices will not show the routers DNS settings. 

But the router will pass the information via the router defined DNS. 

I have all my devices setup with Google DNS and the router DNS set too. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Mac OS - R7000 Nighthawk - System/DNS Server does not 'hold' the router address

Do you mean inputting the DNS on the R7000 web page change back from Google DNS back to ISP DNS? 

Message 2 of 14
TroyK
Aspirant

No, the router is not assigning the google DNS to any of the connected devices.

Message 3 of 14
Psychbum
Star

The devices will not show the routers DNS settings. 

But the router will pass the information via the router defined DNS. 

I have all my devices setup with Google DNS and the router DNS set too. 

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

As mentioned, devices them selves will not show actual DNS you configured on the router. The will only show the routers IP. This is known as a DNS Proxy. Most all NG routers have this. Something that you can't disable. 

@TroyK wrote:

No, the router is not assigning the google DNS to any of the connected devices.

Message 5 of 14
TroyK
Aspirant

thank you.

At this office we have 4 computers. 

I checked and three of them, of course not mine, display the router number 10.0.2.1 correctly, therefore getting the more stable Google DNS numbers.

BUT, my computer, of course will not 'hold' the router number.

I called apple T2 support, nice guy.... and short of new install, blah blah blah.... there is no fix.

My computer displays the ISP DNS numbers and will not 'keep hold' of the router number.

If anyone has any thoughts, ... appreciated.

And yes, I have cleared the DNS cache several times, to no avail.....

Cheers

Message 6 of 14
Psychbum
Star

In MacOS why don't you manually assign the DNS?

System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS > (Change here)

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Has someone or did someone configured this one PCs ethernet adapters networking for static DNS? 

Be sure that the network properties for this one PCs networking adapter is setup for Auto Obtain IP and DNS addressing. If these are configured then the adapter should be getting the router IP address from the router its connected too if its the R7000. 

You might contact Apple support and ask to see if there is any help on there OSX version and see if they can help you on this. If this one PC is not working right, possible there maybe a OS issue if other PCs are working as expected. 

Message 8 of 14
TroyK
Aspirant

I am assigning there. The numbers do not stay.

erg, I made a short movie to show, upload won't take it...

But to be clear, yes, I am assigning DNS numbers in the network/advance/dns area....

they keep re-populating with the ISP numbers

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Are all these PCs Macs with same OSX version?

Message 10 of 14
TroyK
Aspirant

yes 12.14 all 4 computers

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask Apple about this. Seems like the one PC is doing something different. 

Message 12 of 14
TroyK
Aspirant

Yes I spoke to apple at length, tier 2 support, sharp guy.....

Yes, obviously something different about my cpu....

I'm not willing to go thru the whole re-install of the os and my filemaker pro server in order to find it so .... erg.... I'm going to let go.... and accept the way it is... 😃

cheers to all who chipped in...

Blessings

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file on the router for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7