Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Manual Configuration as Access Point R7800 X4S AC2600

perseid
Aspirant

Manual Configuration as Access Point R7800 X4S AC2600

Hi, I own the R7800 Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router. I always had it setup as Access Point with a fixed IP in my LAN (192.168.0.2) connected with network cable to my main TPLink wired router which acts as Gateway. When updating to the latest BIOS 1.0.2.62 I lost the config and had to reconfigure the X4S as Access Point.

So I go to Advanced/Advanced Setup/Router,AP,Bridge Mode and set it to AP. I choose "Use fixed IP Address (not recommended)" under "Choose IP Address settings on this access point" and I'm prompted to insert the IP Address, IP Subnet Mask, Gateway IP Address and Primary and Secondary DNS (see attached screenshot)

What address should I use as DNS? It cannot be left blank. Thanks

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
duckware
Prodigy

Re: Manual Configuration as Access Point R7800 X4S AC2600

Consider letting the AP get an ip address automatically -- and then in your main router, add the MAC address of the AP as a reserved ip address.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
pec967
Luminary

I would set it to the IP address of your primary router.

Message 2 of 4
duckware
Prodigy

Consider letting the AP get an ip address automatically -- and then in your main router, add the MAC address of the AP as a reserved ip address.

Message 3 of 4
perseid
Aspirant

Thanks, both suggestions worked, for now I chose to set the AP in automatic and let the main router assign the reserved address, but ultimately I think I will go for assigning the IP manually , maybe it's cleaner to have each device set independently rather than have the main router administer everything

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7